Any ideas on turnover ratio?

wannabeeareefkeeper

Market
Reaction score
Is there a formula or ratio for size of tank to gph flow exiting the display tank? Looking for personal experience on water column parameters. What are the dos / don't in designing a newer setup in both 120 gallon and 40 gallon breeder tanks?

Wannabee

for in tank flow about 10x water volume per hour is recommended so if you have 120 gallons than you would want about 1200 gph of water movement inside the tank. you can figure out how much flow you have or will have by adding up the numbers for all your circulation pumps and your return. as far as flow through the sump i prefer slower flow. this allows for longer contact times through biomedia more time for your skimmer to pick up junk from the water and more time for reactors to pull junk as well. but keep in mind this is all just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt

I think it really depends on what you are trying to keep. Crappy answer but the truth. I turn a 65 gallon over with. Jebao 12000 at full tilt. Some would say that is a lot. It is not as much as the MD-100 I just took off of it. I will say though. I design for SPS.

I think turnover of a few times an hour between the sump and display is fine if you use powerheads for water movement in the display. I think you just want to keep enough flow through the sump going to keep parameters (temp, nutrient levels, etc) from being too different between the display and the sump. I don't see a need for 10x turnover per hour.

Your dressed like an engineer in your avatar :lol2: . Since you responded first; your opinion is worth more than a grain of salt. :yes:

Picoreefguy;978255 wrote: for in tank flow about 10x water volume per hour is recommended so if you have 120 gallons than you would want about 1200 gph of water movement inside the tank. you can figure out how much flow you have or will have by adding up the numbers for all your circulation pumps and your return. as far as flow through the sump i prefer slower flow. this allows for longer contact times through biomedia more time for your skimmer to pick up junk from the water and more time for reactors to pull junk as well. but keep in mind this is all just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt

Back