Any NPS Tank Keepers?

ghbrewer

Market
Reaction score
I have been researching NPS tanks for a while now and am contemplating setting one up for my next office tank. While there seems to be a few differences from a standard reef tank, it does not seem to be too awfully difficult to keep a nice Non-photosynthetic tank given the right conditions and care. Anyone here have/had an NPS tank that they would like to share their experiences?

Here's a few I have come across online:

6fbcd02d9de9ce1c0e666b8089e4b1ca.jpg
alt="" />

035ca728f5f436175a098b9a13daed91.jpg
alt="" />

5da635e49f2864df1dc76d8d0b28b30c.jpg
alt="" />

a1028ac946193c43fa059c3994ee1118.jpg
alt="" />

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ive also thought about it. one thing i think would be beneficial would be going bare bottom and having tons of random flow. and then when you do your feedings just turn off the return pump till all the food has been caught so that none of it has been wasted going down the drain. also keeping more bio-media then you would on a normal tank since this would be a tank that gets fed a lot you would want a bio-filter that could keep up with demand.

Picoreefguy;1086682 wrote: ive also thought about it. one thing i think would be beneficial would be going bare bottom and having tons of random flow. and then when you do your feedings just turn off the return pump till all the food has been caught so that none of it has been wasted going down the drain. also keeping more bio-media then you would on a normal tank since this would be a tank that gets fed a lot you would want a bio-filter that could keep up with demand.

Yeah, that would help to keep the tank clean too. Seems like water quality is the biggest hurdle with NPS tanks. I have read some that are able to keep their system in check simply with water changes and over sized skimmers, and others are using a combination of over sized skimmer and dosing lanthanum chloride.

Here is a video of a large NPS tank at the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, California. It is stunning:

<!-- gcu-updated ame -->https://youtu.be/HQoBnZe7URs<!-- gcu-updated /ame -->

If I were to do one I would want 2 things.

1. sulphur denitrator
2. mini fridge with phyto and other foods and dosing pumps to feed it multiple times a day.

So does the lighting hurt anything at all? Or is it just for our viewing pleasure

Mystery_me;1086690 wrote: So does the lighting hurt anything at all? Or is it just for our viewing pleasure

I think there have been a few recent studies that have proved that azoox/NPS corals do have some levels of zooanthellia (sp) and that there is some level of photosynthesis going on, but not at a level that can sustain them.

Pretty much seems like any lighting will work. I have seen tanks online with T5, LED, Etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yea as far as ive read lighting wont hurt anything so you could get away with pretty much anything. and to be honest a lot of the nps corals are in the warmer end of the color spectrum (reds, yellows, oranges, pinks) so it would probably look great if you used a light that had supplemental red in it. i noticed a big difference in the pop from my fat head dendro when i had a few magenta leds in the mix

actually you would want lower lighting levels as with the high nutrient loads algea growth can be a problem.

with proper nutrient export it shouldnt be an issue but having a lower powered light would definitely help with keep it from becoming an issue.

EnderG60;1086700 wrote: actually you would want lower lighting levels as with the high nutrient loads algea growth can be a problem.

Agreed, lower lighting would help to reduce the amount of algae and such. I imagine a lot of it will depend on the level of husbandry, filtration, etc... as well.

Just like anything else in this hobby, it seems like there is a million ways to go about it. The only constant things that I have picked up on in regards to successful keeping of NPS is multiple/constant "varied" feedings, weekly water changes (that do not exceed like 15%, as too much stresses these corals out more so than others?) and heavy filtration (both mechanical and biological).

In regards to nitrates and phosphates, this is not something that I have seen much congruence on. Some worry more about nitrates and others seem to be more challenged by phosphates. Probably issues that vary from tank to tank. A denitrator may be a great tool to have if nitrates are a problem, and I could see a very good case for an ATS as well. I imagine it is one of those things where you have to get it going and just see what will need to be addressed, just like any other tank.

Doesn't seem like maintaing Alk, Cal, Mg, Etc.. is too much of a challenge, seems like consistent water changes keeps these levels good. That is a plus I guess, but probably balances out with the amount of effort that has to be put into water quality.

i considered it for my last build... but opted out. just because i didn't think i could afford the equipment to export what I'd need to feed haha..

not a great time for a high maintenance system in my life :)

but by all means give it a try... if anyone can do it I'm sure you can :)

Back