any one ever heard of a nem hurting someone in there tank?

I had a bta eat a bangii, I know its not a common thing, but I saw it in the nems mouth. It was a new to my tank fish so maybe it died near the nem or was just weak to begin with...but yea

some people react differently to their stings. So, it's possible. I've heard of people getting bad reactions to a nem's sting.

I err on the side of not touching them, myself~

I touched my condi once and freaked out.. didn't sting, but it was sticky. I haven't touched the btas yet, and don't plan to..

I have touched the different BTAs we have had plenty of times and have never been stung. They do feel a little gross (sticky and kinda slimy) but other than that I have never been effected. I wouldn't worry too much about it, at least on the bubble tip side of it.

oops, i misread that. I'd compare it to a 9V touching your tongue sting, but not really as strong.

I have a carpet and I have touched it more than once other than being very sticky I have not had any problems.

You can touch them at the GA Aquarium (I don't know what species that are)...so I assume they are safe. The woman at the touch tank said human skim is thick enough that it's not a bother.

LorenK;198312 wrote: You can touch them at the GA Aquarium (I don't know what species that are)...so I assume they are safe. The woman at the touch tank said human skim is thick enough that it's not a bother.

I did that on my last visit to the GA Aquarium -- I asked but the staff had no idea what the species was. They were a little sticky, but that's all I noticed.

I have heard that the "rock" or "flower" anemones can "sting" you if you brush them hard enough (I think Ramone told me that about his flower anemone, he has a cool looking black-and-white one) , but I have also heard reports of frogspawn doing the same to some people if they brush them hard as well.

It is my understanding that hammer, frogspawn and torch coral can do it, although, we have never experienced a problem. Guess it just depends on how sensitive you are. I have heard that some people experience agitation from nems but not really a sting.

Back