Any problems with having a trap on my overflow plumbing

johnr2604

Market
Reaction score
Just curiuos because I havn't ever done it. I want to plumb all my systems together in my fish room. In order to do so I will need to go from my overflows on one sytem down to the floor then back up to my sump. The overflow will still be higher than the sump but it will essentially create a "trap" in the plumbing. Any problems with doing so other than noise? I will put "vents" on both sides of the "trap"

John any chance of a picture or sketch of what your talking about? I think I get it but want to make sure.

Mockery;458175 wrote: John any chance of a picture or sketch of what your talking about? I think I get it but want to make sure.
Yeah, Give me a few and I'll sketch one up

Here's what I'm thinking.

plumbing.jpg
alt="" />

The volume of water flowing through that pipe should prevent any sediment buildup, etc in the "trap".

just make the vent high on the sump side.. depending on how far you're falling, it will build up some pretty high head pressure (and could hit your tee and come out the top)

I would actually move the vent over to the left where the U comes back up. Think about how skimmers return their water, most of the vents are before the elbow back to the tank. Gotta be a reason, noise?

Cjsparky;458196 wrote: The volume of water flowing through that pipe should prevent any sediment buildup, etc in the "trap".

I agree with this...although with any plumbing you will get stuff caked on the walls of the pipe over time.

Rbredding;458198 wrote: just make the vent high on the sump side.. depending on how far you're falling, it will build up some pretty high head pressure (and could hit your tee and come out the top)

au01st;458237 wrote: I would actually move the vent over to the left where the U comes back up. Think about how skimmers return their water, most of the vents are before the elbow back to the tank. Gotta be a reason, noise?

Is the "trap" really neccessary? Can it not be plumbed directly to the sump without that?

James S.;458265 wrote: I agree with this...although with any plumbing you will get stuff caked on the walls of the pipe over time.

Is the "trap" really neccessary? Can it not be plumbed directly to the sump without that?
unfortunately it is. Its actually got to cross the floor in a walkway. Not the best way I know, but I have no choice.

cant you hold it high to the ceiling (across the head of the door opening) and then down into the sump?

I have done this before in my sump room but I didn't vent it at the sump. The only problem I had was stepping over the pipe all the time. I ended up re-plumbing it around the wall.

grimreefer;458290 wrote: I have done this before in my sump room but I didn't vent it at the sump. The only problem I had was stepping over the pipe all the time. I ended up re-plumbing it around the wall.
I'm probably going to do that but I still have to clear a door. I'm going to run the pipe next to the threshold on my exterior door to avoid the trip hazard

Make me a parts list and I can get most of it free if you run a 2" drain.I got the drill bits in the mail today.

Back