Any Reviews on BRS Carbon or GFO Reators?

budsreef

Market
Reaction score
I still haven't figured out a good way to run carbon on my tanks so I was wondering if any of you guys got either the carbon or gfo reactors or the dual ones from Bulk Reef Supply and if so how do you like them?

I have 2, two little fishes reactors, however, I really like what I see at BRS. If I needed one, that's what I would get, IMHO.

Got the BRS dual... but not hooked up yet. I'll try to give a review in a few weeks. It is a good looking set-up.

Bud, I got the single just to run carbon and it is easy to setup and works great!

I've run Activated Charcoal in a filter bag for over 35 years in both fresh and salt tanks. On my 30 I have a HOB filter that I put the filter bag in and on my 72g I put the bag in my sump in my bubble trap. This has worked for me for years so I can't see a reason for a reactor. This is just my opinion.

I have never used granular ferrous oxide so I do not know about the reactor part. For phosphate problems I have used Phosban in a filter bag and eliminated my phosphate problems in 2 - 3 days. I'm not saying a reactor is good, bad or indifferent since I don't use one and never have. I thought about getting one many times before just for ease of using chemicals. I always find myself spending my extra fish money on other things I need at the time.

I have the dual and its great....super easy to change out media as well. If you want different flow rates for your GFO and Carbon, you can add a small ball valve to the line right before the GFO chamber.

I havent used GFO yet in it (i use purigen and carbon) but as far as a reactor goes, its great imo.

Bud,
I would never run the GFO and GAC together in the same reactor because GFO is supposed to tumble, and GAC is supposed to stay packed with flow thru.

You can run them in-line (BRS or TLF), but have the GFO reactor first so you have control over the flow rate to set the fluidised state of the GFO media, then have the GFO reactor effluent enter the GAC reactor for carbon filtration.

With GFO reactors you want to have the GFO tumble, but a clear space of about 1-2" between the fluidised GFO and the top of the reactor, so you don't push GFO particles into the tank. That is why you need flow control in the GFO reactor. The GAC reactor carbon is flow thru only, so flow rate is not quite as important vs the GFO reactor.

The BRS reactors and the TLF are highly thought of, and I don't believe I have ever seen a negative review of either.

I think the main things to think about are the size of the reactors vs your tank size and needs. The TLF model is much smaller than the BRS models, the BRS models being about the size of RO sediment filters, and the TLF model less than 1/2 that size.

The BRS reactors need a lot more mounting footprint and are a wall/cabinet mount only, so if you are tied for space, the TLF models may be for you. The TLF models are made to hang on the tank or in the sump, so they have the advantage of if a leak develops, it won't flood your floor.

I believe the BRS GFO and GAC reactors hold more media than the TLF model, so for a comparable water volume you'd change out the media more often.

I use the TLF model because I don't have the wall space to set them up without a lot of trouble, so my two TLF models hang inside the sump. I have 300 net gallons, so I change out my media a bit more often.

Well stated!

I actually run the carbon first, to catch any phosphate "leakage" and have no trouble getting the gfo surface to "perk" for proper flow. Either way, I don't think it matters that much. TLF in series hanging on sump is convenient.

mysterybox;365723 wrote: Well stated!

I actually run the carbon first, to catch any phosphate "leakage" and have no trouble getting the gfo surface to "perk" for proper flow. Either way, I don't think it matters that much. TLF in series hanging on sump is convenient.

Another reason I like running the GFO before the GAC is that the GAC will catch any fines from the GFO. I don't know if there is any logic in it, but I'd rather not have any GFO enter the tank itself.

actually, phosban is TLF's GFO, you must be thinking of Phosguard (aluminum) or Purigen.

Thanks for all the replies! I have tried just throwing a bag of carbon in the sump but I've read in several places that it's not as effective running it in a passive manner as with water being pumped through it. I've tried using a HOT Magnum and a PolyReactor by ViaAqua, but the input/output connections aren't to my liking so they are just sitting in a box.

Luckily, space isn't an issue for me since my sumps are in the basement so I'm thinking I'll go with two single BRS reactors. That will give me the flexibility to run one with carbon on each system or run gfo and carbon on one system or the other. I've never run GFO so I'll have to read up on that before I order. Should have figured ths out in May during the power buy, DOH!

Has anyone seen the BRS style filter cannisters at any of our local sponsors?

I have the 2 little fishie reactor and have been using that for 2 yrs. All the others that I had in the past were leaking. :confused2:

I bought two of the BRS reactors and have been running carbon for about three weeks on both my systems. I'm going to switch them both to GFO today. Is there any concerns with stating the GFO, I seem to remember reading in another thread that it can cause initial start up problems. Are there any cautions I should take?

Now I wish I would have gotten four of them to run carbon and GFO at the same time on both systems. I'll probably go ahead and order two more.

If u have any sps corals in your tank, you will need to acclimate gfo over a period of 1 to 2 months. Go very slow. Your tank inhabitants must get used to the lower levels of phosphates. Start at 25% of what is reccomended or less. Increase slowly.

Thanks, I only have a couple of SPS but what I have I would like to keep. Do you mean just put in 25% of media or only run it 25% of the time?

mysterybox;388246 wrote: If u have any sps corals in your tank, you will need to acclimate gfo over a period of 1 to 2 months. Go very slow. Your tank inhabitants must get used to the lower levels of phosphates. Start at 25% of what is reccomended or less. Increase slowly.

mysterybox;388246 wrote: If u have any sps corals in your tank, you will need to acclimate gfo over a period of 1 to 2 months. Go very slow. Your tank inhabitants must get used to the lower levels of phosphates. Start at 25% of what is reccomended or less. Increase slowly.
I have heard this as well. I have ran gfo since day one so I can't speak from experience but if you reduce your phosphate levels to near zero and then you purchase a sps from a higher level phosphate system would you have to acclimate that coral over 1 to 2 month period in a seperate tank and lower it to your levels. If so I been doing it wrong.

Here is a link to build a dual reactor for a fraction of the cost.

a>

I bought two ro type housings on ebay and built my own for 20 bucks about two and half years ago and never had an issue . they are just like the brs.

Back