Any South American Cichlids Fans Out there?

tony_caliente

Market
Reaction score
Thinking about going that way (again). I loved and used to breed then 25 years ago. Let me know who would know a thing or two.

Thanks!

Tony

Why not Africans? Much cooler fish with better coloration and shapes.

I can (keep Africans), but I only have a 55 and didn't want to bother buffering.
Here's also want I want to know (either for Africans or SA):
Can I/should I use bio-balls for biological filtration?
Which are better suited to a 55g?
Which are hardier?
Which are less expensive?
Which can toleration a very thin gravel layer (I know they like to dig and move gravel around)?
Which are easier to find/buy?
My tank gets as high as 81 in the summer (on very hot days with the light on after several hours - light are not likely to be an issue. I will not be keeping plants).

I know there are no hard and fast rules - just looking for some general guideline to direct my own research.

Thanks!

Hey Tony,

I kept Cichlids for years prior to diving into the reefs. However, I must admit that then I didn't do near the amount of research, practice any sort of good husbandry, etc.

In my experience, the SA's get bigger than the African's which may be of concern in the long haul. Again this is my perception. My final three fish were a pike, Dempsey, and a red devil. All of which became huge and really needed a bigger home than the 75 gallon I had at the time.

Also, I found that the African's were more expensive, especially when going after some of the more exotic specimens.

I don't think either is very hard to find. I typically see both in the local shops and big box stores.

Good luck with the endeavor. I may go back one day also.

Tony_Caliente;922539 wrote: I can (keep Africans), but I only have a 55 and didn't want to bother buffering.
Here's also want I want to know (either for Africans or SA):
Can I/should I use bio-balls for biological filtration? Yes
Which are better suited to a 55g? Africans
Which are hardier? Similar
Which are less expensive? South American
Which can toleration a very thin gravel layer (I know they like to dig and move gravel around)? Africans
Which are easier to find/buy? S American
My tank gets as high as 81 in the summer (on very hot days with the light on after several hours - light are not likely to be an issue. I will not be keeping plants). Ok on both
I know there are no hard and fast rules - just looking for some general guideline to direct my own research.

Thanks!
See above. As far as I know, you can have an African community tank much easier than a SA. You could do assorted peacocks in a 55 pretty easily. You could also do a nice Tanganyikan tank with several species.

I was into SA cichlid for about 7 years, still have a 75g with a single cichlid, Hoplarcus psittacus</em>. I never did African cichlids, never was a fan. I kept severums (a nice breeding pair), the psittacus, pikes, geophagus, apistogrammas, gymnogeophagus and and satanoperca and for loved datnoids and bichirs for big SA cichlid tankmates. For a 55g you can go with a nice planted tank with dwarf cichlids from SA. Apistos are awesome dwarf cichlids as are gymnos. Gymnos are cool because most are from Uruguay and when I kept them I didn't heat my tank. Went from about 84F in the summer to about 70F in the winter. Lower temps trigger spawning. There are also dwarf pikes which I unfortunately never tried.

Here are some pics of my old tanks

angels and apistos
IMG_3268.jpg
alt="" />
IMG_2238.jpg
alt="" />
PIMG_1771.jpg
alt="" />
mix 125g with SA and oddballs
IMG_3228.jpg
alt="" />
PIMG_1801.jpg
alt="" />
mixed 75g
IMG_3196.jpg
alt="" />

If you have any specific SA questions feel free to ask. I can point you in a direction or to someone who may help you find something you're looking for

Very nice. I like a well-planted FW tank as much a reef tank. I am just looking for something that doesn't require so much attention. I have the time; I just don't have the desire any more. Been involved since 1981. It's starting to feel like work and that's with only one 55. Once I completely knock it this bryopsis..I will decide. Thanks again. I used keep Rift Lake Cichlids.

I keep a 125g Lake Tanganyikan community, and it really doesn't get any easier...no plants to routinely prune and replant because the fish have uprooted them. Some sand, some rocks a few pieces of driftwood and simple lighting...sit back and enjoy! I used pool filter sand mixed with some regular inert aquarium gravel of varying sizes and picked up the rocks from a local landscaping place for next to nothing.

Several different species of Tanganyikans are usually available through the freshwater club, if you're interested.

Here's a video of the tank from back in June 2012.

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=youtube]

If you get back in to cichlids I have an adolescent male aprox4" jack dempsea , it's nearly all black with loads of blue , your most welcome to have him 100% free.
I decided today im in need to re house another fish in the jd's tank with whom it doesn't get along.
Pm me for a picture , fish is 7-9months old .
The other fish has seniority being with us 3 years and I feed it by hand almost daily so he definitely gets the jd's home if someone has to go.

Convicts are one of the most easily bred chiclids. then you have the kribenes. you basically throw a pair in the tank and they make you babies. much like platies. I had a breeding oscar pair but my female unfortuantley succome to a heater malfunction. Parrot fish are actually easily bred and are capable of breeding with a variety of other species as they are a mix between a red devil and severum. I love my southies. they are so beautiful. more nuetral colors than africans. kind of a more natural beauty than a bright one. lol

I had Africans for 10 years before going saltwater. I had them in a 55. They are easy to find ,easy to breed and you can find females holding eggs all the time .take her home take the babies when there ready give them a few months and there ready to go in the Dt.

I had a blast with leleupis in a 45 tall. If I don't kill this bryopsis; I am back in to leleupis. This post brings back lots of "stress-free" aquarium keeping.

HiImSean;932168 wrote: Me too butch. I've considered doing a dwarf tank again. We'll see.

I still have my 20g long all set up...just need to find the right apisto to put in there.

Nice. I actually saw some dwarf pikes the other day and really made me want to try them.

Picked up a reverse trio of c. regani at the last mini-auction. $5. :D

Back