Any tricks for adding Chromis to existing chromis?

derek_s

Market
Reaction score
I have 3 chromis that started out as 9 about 3 months ago. These 3 seem really healthy and good to go. I'd really like to have at least 6, so is there anything I can do to improve my chances of adding 3 more and keeping them alive? Maybe if I add 9 more I will get 3 to survive?

Derek_S;339970 wrote: I have 3 chromis that started out as 9 about 3 months ago. These 3 seem really healthy and good to go. I'd really like to have at least 6, so is there anything I can do to improve my chances of adding 3 more and keeping them alive? Maybe if I add 9 more I will get 3 to survive?
Put the new ones in another tank they may survive

Come get the one's out of my tank. They are over a 1.5 years old. Pm me if you wan them.

Joe

chromis will take right to each other, just acclimate the newcomers before adding them to the tank.
I added some to my single survivor, took about 2 minutes before they hooked up and started schooling.
Now if I can keep the yellow tang from terrorizing them....

why are they such poor survivors? I've noticed this as well, and I thought it was something I was doing wrong. Is it common, or is there a way to improve their survival rate?

Don' t know why but I tried several times to put more with my 3 and they just kill them off. Mine have mated and are activily laying eggs now.

probably has a lot to do with the way they are harvested and transported. inexpensive fish don't get the royal treatment like the more expensive ones do. Mine happened to all be suicidal and jumped. Not one died in the tank.
I generally quarantine for a few days to a few weeks depending on species. Chromis usually get a copper dip, a freshwater dip, and into the tank they go. I suspect the QT method of 2 weeks' isolation I've done in the past accelerated their stress levels, and losses prior to the dip, dip, introduce to DT method were considerably higher. They need flow, hiding places, and apparently a need to feel an escape route is needed.
Being surrounded by glass, including a BB QT tank looks to stress them.
I have no basis in fact, just my observation and personal feelings.

grouper therapy;340014 wrote: Don' t know why but I tried several times to put more with my 3 and they just kill them off. Mine have mated and are activily laying eggs now.
that may be your answer.
Maybe try a brooder box for a day or two, then turn them out?

Charlie, I think that is probably the best bet. Take them all out, and return them all at the same time? My QT is only 5 gal though.. Bah. Time to pull out the rubbermaid.

BTW, my ACJr almost crashed my tank. The temp probe (I think ) is reading way strange, like 29 degrees. Cant figure it out. Luckily I thought to set the thermostat on the heaters at slightly above my preferred temp, so they cut off at 81 degrees instead of my usual 79. Close one....

I really need a new controller but dont want to invest teh cash... :(

Put the heater on a ranco controller!! Now !!!!!!

I tried the removal and acclimation and it worked for a while but then they ultimatly decide who was going to reside in the tank.

I had pretty good success adding additional chromis after my first 2 died out of a group of 5. I added an additional 4 chromis and only lost one, (the one who decided not to school with the group.) I found that feeding aggresively really made a difference with the second group vs the first group for the first week or two. This really cut down on the aggression within the group. I had a few mouth to mouth fights, but they settled them pretty fast with no damage. I know that I read somewhere the Chromis prefer up to 4 feedings optimally. Hope this helps increase your school. I have had mine now for 2 years and even my larger tangs have to compete with the school during feeding. The chromis have at least doubled since adding to the tank.

grouper therapy;340042 wrote: Put the heater on a ranco controller!! Now !!!!!!

Oh yeah, let me look in my tail-end for a ranco, wait, no, cant pull one out. Dont have one....:D

http://www.rancoetc.com/-c-36.html?osCsid=a7fe7a73ced2ea79509c857be5cc384c">http://www.rancoetc.com/-c-36.html?osCsid=a7fe7a73ced2ea79509c857be5cc384c</a>
wow that was hard!!!

stickx911;340008 wrote: why are they such poor survivors? I've noticed this as well, and I thought it was something I was doing wrong. Is it common, or is there a way to improve their survival rate?

They don't ship well first of all. Shipping being long distances over periods of time. Not from fish store to house. Best bet is to feed them 3 times a day for a few days and that seems to get them settled in a little easier.

Back