Any use for PC fans?

matlet

Supporting
Reaction score
I am tearing down a handful of my old PCs for parts. I am wondering if there is any value or use for the fans found in the desktop units (for the reef hobby)?

I’ve seen people use the to make magnetic stirrers for dosing containers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of uses. I have one on my stand to push fresh air in. Some put them on canopies to circulate air. And melevsreef sells fan tray brackets for evaporative cooling.

Lord yea.... lots of people use them to move air over the water
Although w led being so popular cooling isn’t as much of an issue as it was back with MH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use 2x to circulate/pull fresh air in to my stand next to my sump , I dont really know if its necessary but I'm addicted to gadgets and extra junk I don't need it would seem

Yea, they are great as cheap air movers. Gotta watch the noise though. Really like the stirrer idea though. I had a canopy that had 4 at each end. Half pulled air out and half pushed it in.

T5s work better when they are actively cooled as well especially if you're using icecap ballasts. The bulbs will last a lot longer and if you're overdriving them you'll get a lot more light with active cooling. With my last tank I actively cooled with PC fans and the drop off on the bulbs wasn't significant until around 19 months for me. Prior to that I would change them around the 12 month mark. I never did a cost benefit analysis in terms of equipment and electrical draw... since the hassle of changing t5 bulbs was a heavily weighted factor for me. :)

Back