Anyone else had issues with the JBJ ATO?

jonboyb

Market
Reaction score
My JBJ ATO has been in operation 2 weeks now and twice I've come to it being "frozen up". The power light, sensor 1 light (in my tank) and pump light were all on and it should have been pumping, but no power to the pump plug. I unplugged and plugged back in the ATO the first time and it started working perfectly again and immediately powered up the pump. The second time I just raised and released the sensor 1 float and again it powered the pump up immediately. Apparently the relay that powers up the external pump isn't switching. A "reset" by killing the power or moving the float switch seems to solve the issue, but I just don't trust it. It seems to make it about a week before freezing up. Of course it's Xmas and I don't have time send it back before leaving:doh: Anyone else seen something like this out of the JBJ. I bought one becuase I thought they were dang near bulletproof, but not my luck:sad:

That makes sense, I just use the Tom's Aqualifter which doesn't exactly move much water. I bought the tiny pump because it's just set up on a 28 and I wanted very gradual addition of fresh water instead of a big surge like I would get with a normal pump. The Aqualifter puts out at a rate similar to my my RO/DI filter...just a trickle.

Alright, opened it up and the screw (with 5 min printed on the board) was all the way clockwise. Moved it a little counter and it's already locked up again once:confused2: Does counter-clockwise lengthen the time?

Also, I noted a sticker on the black cylinder next to the on/off switch (which I assume is the alarm). The sticker said "remove seal after washing". WTH is that and should the sticker (aka seal???) be on there?

Ares is exactly right (for once)

Jk hehe. I like the timer feature, you just got to get it matched to your pump.

If clockwise is a longer cycle, mine was maxed out. It would only move counter-clockwise:sad: The problem is, you have to jump from 3.5 GPH with the Aqualifter to like a 80 GPH pump, and then use much bigger lines. I'm using air tubing.

On another note, I've seen guys using the JBJ and Aqualifter on setups MUCH larger than mine??????? I may purchase another JBJ ATO to see how it does since I'll need it on my basement setup anyways.

ares;260799 wrote: just watch it some time, see what it does.

if it clicks on and runs for 5-7 minutes and then stops, you have your answer.

what kind of setup do you have? alot of people, even with huge tanks, may only have a small return area, meaning the level drop happens more often, but is quick to fill back up. if your trying to raise a whole tank that inch or so that it requires, itll take alot longer to fill it in even if it is a somewhat small tank, surely larger than an average sump return.

This is exactly right. When I designed my sump I made the return area kinda smallish since I knew I'd be running kalk. THis means that the ATO cuts on more frequently, but only adds relatively small amounts of water at a time. THis is good with kalk since a steady addition beats occasionally large amounts by a long shot.

Obviously there some other things that are sacrificed by dong the smaller return area, though...

It cycles less than 1 minute. My fill area is tiny, and it probably takes less than a pint to bring it up an inch. When my halides are on and the fans are running, it usually comes on every 15 minutes or so (it doesnt cut on at inch intervals though, maybe 1/4" and it switches on). Looks like I have a problem with the ATO:sad: I'm going to run the ATO on a timer so it can reset daily to see if it solves the problem.

Maybe I could turn the alarm on (the toggle switch under the case???). Does the alarm sound when it "times out" or only when the reservoir is dry?

I've been told that earlier models didn't have the switch. My latest one does though. Can't miss it with the case off. It was set off at the factory.

You may have to just get a bigger pump... The only way I could get mine to work better was to drip kalk seperatly, and have the JBJ make up what ever was left over. since then I have not had a problem at all. Also I use both of the float valves in the sump rather than one in the water bucket. I would rather have a pump burn up than anything else.

a>

rostato;260855 wrote: You may have to just get a bigger pump... The only way I could get mine to work better was to drip kalk seperatly, and have the JBJ make up what ever was left over. since then I have not had a problem at all. Also I use both of the float valves in the sump rather than one in the water bucket. I would rather have a pump burn up than anything else.

I do this as well. I cut the wires and wired them in series for redundancy.

So COUNTER-clockwise lenthens the period...awesome.

My ATO has an on/off toggle just below the black canister on the right side about center. It's not in the picture on Marine Depot. Apparently they added it so you didn't have to move jumpers.

I have been having the same issue with my JBL ATO on the Finnex. I use a Toms Aqualifter also as a top off pump and with the built in timer on the JBL at max I can't keep up with the evaporation. Time to switch to a stronger pump.

I'm certain it's an issue with the unit now. I actually sat there and watched it and the float triggered but the ATO didn't power up the pump. I don't have time to send it back before the holidays, so I put it on a timer and it resets every 15 minutes now. Just making lemonade outta lemons:D Been fine the past 2 days by resetting it.

Back