Anyone Else Have Pom Pom Crabs?

linda lee

Market
Reaction score
<p style="text-align:center;">

I have 2 and they lived in a 2-1/2 gallon tank for a few weeks, partially as a quarantine but mostly because one was carrying a clutch of eggs when we got her and I thought something might happen with that. Eventually, the clutch disappeared and I moved both crabs to my 55g.

Now, after a couple of weeks, I see that one of the pom poms is again toting cargo.

Would the eggs make the crab a particularly taste-tempting treat to anything else in my tank? The P-P Crabs are armed, of course, with their little anemone boxing gloves, but they still seem so fragile.

I really like these critters and would hate to see anything happen to them. I'm wondering if I should move them back into a safer environment.

Other occupants currently in the tank: Clarkii clownfish, flamehawk, 6line wrasse, 2 yellow-tail damsels, bi-colored blenny, GBTA, serpent star, emerald crabs, plate corals, hermits, assorted snails and various other corals (mostly softies).

Sorry, I've got no advice to offer. But I would like to see pictures!

Lol, I have one. At least I think I have one. He only comes out once a month to laugh at me for wasting money on him.

balagan;91164 wrote: Lol, I have one. At least I think I have one. He only comes out once a month to laugh at me for wasting money on him.

Yeah same I have 2 of them and only see them once in a blue moon. They are cool but I always forget I have them until they just show up out of no where. I thought they where dead for the first 2 months I had them.

wbholwell;91160 wrote: Sorry, I've got no advice to offer. But I would like to see pictures!

For the most part they are reclusive, but they will often come out when I put a skewer with a piece of shrimp in the tank. I fed them that way when they were in the small tank (I'd leave the skewer in the tank until they finished eating and pull it out with the leftovers). It's fun to see them come out of the rocks waving their pom poms.

I'll try to get a picture.

I haven't seen my two since the day I put them in the tank. I did see a shell, but hopefullly that was just a molt.

I actually was graced by the presence of my pom pom the past two days. However, it had been about a month since I saw it before that.

Back