Anyone ever try a dome shaped lid on their skimmer instead of the stock flat ones?

davidinga

Market
Reaction score
I saw another thread where someone had made a dome shaped lid for their skimmer and I was wondering if anyone has tried it? In my mind it seems like it would improve the performance compared to the common flat lid design.

Image attached of what a possible dome lid could look like.

It seems like that dome lid would improve skimmate collection as it would improve the overall surface area where the foam head and collect and also allow for the foam to more naturally follow the domes shape. It would also marginally improve the height at which you can run your skimmer up the next.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Reasons why no manufacturer does this already?

Thanks
David
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1031610=61446-4ifv7ya.jpg
>
1031610=61446-4ifv7ya.jpg
class="gc-images" title="4ifv7ya.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Looks and sounds like a great idea but not sure it will necessarily improve performance.

I would think some engineer has looked at both and flat was the way to roll it out.

DavidinGA;1031610 wrote:
It seems like that dome lid would improve skimmate collection as it would improve the overall surface area where the foam head and collect and also allow for the foam to more naturally follow the domes shape. It would also marginally improve the height at which you can run your skimmer up the next.
David

I've always felt this way.

Current accepted flat approach seems to catch the foam, cause a hang and drip back in the skimmer operation. This inappearance seems to be quite counterproductive to optimal nutrient removal.

Proving my pount running without a lid does improve collection as far as my experience has shown. Problem here is the mess that this creates. Truly i can not think of many benifits that would outwiegh Skimmate splash all over the innards of my cabinet.

Essentially I think the flat approach by the manufacturers is geared more towards the limitation of stand heights in consumer demands. Essentially compromising a little preformance while appealing the broader market is a better business decision....

But I really don't know. Just my thoughts.

It doesnt improve function great enough to make up for the added cost a lid like that would add.

All skimmers are made to be manufactured with as few steps as possible.

EnderG60;1031624 wrote: It doesnt improve function great enough to make up for the added cost a lid like that would add.

All skimmers are made to be manufactured with as few steps as possible.

True in manufacturing the OEM product, but I can buy a plastic bowl for $1 and make it myself....

Arringar;1031626 wrote: The cost would be increased quite a bit. Instead of just a simple CNC cut for a disk to make a flat lid, suddenly it has to be formed. I think this is more of a cost savings issue for the manufacturers.

Quite possibly, never considered the cost difference here.

DavidinGA;1031625 wrote: True in manufacturing the OEM product, but I can buy a plastic bowl for $1 and make it myself....

Do it and report on it, I'm curious now!

Back