Anyone good with acrylic?

rostato

Market
Reaction score
Ok. So I need some small overflow boxes because I cannot stand using the 90's anymore. I have had 3 flood close calls because of snails getting stuck in my overflows, and have found a clown and a shrimp in my filter sock before. So a temporary fix was to put some screen on top of the 90's. (see pic below) But they build up algae so fast I need to clean them daily to keep the flow up.

Here is how I have it set up
DSC01117.jpg
alt="" />

DSC01050.jpg
alt="" />

So I found this website, and basically I have the exact same thing only no box.
http://www.glass-holes.com/product.sc?productId=5&categoryId=3">http://www.glass-holes.com/product.sc?productId=5&categoryId=3</a>

Anyone good enough with acrylic to make a 4 sided box like the ones they sell? I have never delt with acrylic, so I don't want to learn with something like this...

very true, but I wonder how it will work. Maybe I will give that a shot first.

I am headed out of town until Monday and I will maybe try it next week.

While that pipe is cool, you still risk the change of smaller fish and snails getting in there. The best method is the old school tooth out of the water box style.

I got home last night, and looked at the overflows, and I don't thing the tube system will work. My 90's are at the top of the tank, so I don't have room for another anyway.

I definatly am going to want on overflow. I'll be in touch

I came up with this crazy idea, and it's Ghetto as Hell, but it works great and I get the same amount of flow.

I got a 2" cap from HD and drilled a hole in the bottom so it would slide over the 90 degree fitting in thetank. Then just cut slots into the cap to make teeth. A little trimming here and there, and this is what I came up with.

Took me about an hour to do with my dremel. I get the prefect water level in the tank, some teeth to keep the critters out, and enough teeth that I don't get any restricted flow.:thumbs:

I am going to paint it black and make another one for the other overflow.

DSC00191.jpg
alt="" />
DSC00192.jpg
alt="" />
DSC00193.jpg
alt="" />
DSC00196.jpg
alt="" />

Ghetto, but it works great, and only costs $1.67 ea!

I love your GHETTO solution! Can you make the slots a little straighter on the next one? :D

I could not for the life of me get the dremel to go straight, so I just went with it. Once painted black, and used a while it will be hard to notice.

Xyzpdq0121;250836 wrote: I would recommend a Calfo style overflow... They have MANY advantages!!

Like what? Besides looking really clean.

rostato;250842 wrote: Like what? Besides looking really clean.

More surface area draining into the sump which always helps with light pentration.

Well the edit function sucks tonight for some reason. I meant to say it also helps with light penetration.

I must be in stupid mode, but how does an overflow help with light penetration??

rostato;250854 wrote: I must be in stupid mode, but how does an overflow help with light penetration??

By keeping the surface cleaner. I have noticed on tanks with smaller overflow areas with poor flow that you can occasionally get a "scum" on the surface. With a Calfo style overflow you are literally skimming the entire surface of the water in large sheets. Therefore it is harder for the "scum" to settle on the surface. Just a slight advantage but still noteworthy IMO.

OK, makes sense. I have alot of surface movement, and have had no problems with that so far. Thanks for explaining.

Back