Anyone have a heat gun I can borrow?

jbdreefs

Market
Reaction score
I need to remove some siliconed pieces of plastic from my glass and I think a heat gun would be very helpful.

I live in Gwinnett so if anyone near by has one it would be greatly appreciated if you would let me borrow it for a day or so.

Thanks,
John

So it's acrylic siliconed to glass? Or something similar? I'd just use a razor, you can use a knife to cut it out and a naked blade on its side to scrape the silicone residue off, just don't cut yourself

Bycjoe;900055 wrote: So it's acrylic siliconed to glass? Or something similar? I'd just use a razor, you can use a knife to cut it out and a naked blade on its side to scrape the silicone residue off, just don't cut yourself

It is too big to get a razor under it enough and I dont want to pry too hard for fear of breaking the glass and I would like to reuse the piece so I am also trying to not beak it.

I guess I could try a hair drier.

Harbor Freight. they are really cheap. You could borrow mine but it would be more in gas than its worth. $14.99 on sale now. Probably can score a 20% off coupon and get it for $12.

Gary

My only issue I see is I don't believe a heat gun will help get silicone off, you'd melt the plastic before that happened, if there's space around it I've had luck with using a thin gauge wire like guitar string with 2 pieces of wood for handles and using it to separate pieces before.

There is a silicon calk remover you can buy from Home Depot or Lowes or even Ace. It's not very effective and you might have to put several layers on to remove everything. But with the plexiglass I would be afraid of melting it with a heat gun. The tube of remover is generally $3-4. I have have mixed results with it but it might be worth a try.

Bycjoe;900084 wrote: My only issue I see is I don't believe a heat gun will help get silicone off, you'd melt the plastic before that happened, if there's space around it I've had luck with using a thin gauge wire like guitar string with 2 pieces of wood for handles and using it to separate pieces before.

That is a good idea. Might stop by the music store for some new strings.

JBDreefs;900115 wrote: That is a good idea. Might stop by the music store for some new strings.

I haven't used it specifically for this application but we use the same technique at work sometimes for similar things, let us know how it goes :)

+1 on guitar string, Eric and I disassembled a 125 tank using two vice grips and some guitar string. Took about 20 minutes....

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4

Back