Anyone have an opinion on these/this Fixture

capthutch

Market
Reaction score
New Arrival.....ideal for a coral reef set up
This new arrival Beamswork 3W LEDs Quad Power 48" Light Fixture (Timer Ready) is equipped with (2) access ports for 2 optional modules; (2) original manufactured digital timer; sold separately as an optional accessory. The manual on/off switch will be overridden by the OEM digital timer after being plugged in and operated.

Fixture Size: 46.50" x 7.00" x 1.38" (Add 0.65" in height with bracket installed)
LEDs Count: 72
9720 Lumens
Super energy efficient 3 watt high output LEDs
54x 10,000K LED
18x Actinic 460nm LED
Use 216 watts
*Specs may slightly vary from actual

Features:
Best design: slim, light, and yet, contemporary
2 three ways toggle on/off switches function as (1) All White/Act. Blue, (2) Off, & (3) Act. Blue as lunar & star light
OEM Timer Ready
Extends to 54" or more in length with brackets installed
Clear plastic splash guard
Cooling Fans System
2 external high power transformers

Compatible products:
Optional Digital Timer for Beamswork or EVO LED Light Fixture
Auxilary Cooling Fan for EVO Quad LED Fixture
EVO Quad Hanging Kit 4.0" Brackets

I currently have a 48" Current 8 bulb fixture w/4 whites and 4 blues. I was checking into purchasing all new bulbs (around $160.00 w/shipping) and I came across this led and wondered how it would be over my 75 gal? Opinions, and comments welcomed! Thanks,

ProductDetails.asp

It looks good to me but I see a few problems. There are not many blue LEDs compared to the whites. You will need to supplement the lack of blues with more LED strips or T5s. There are no dimmers so whatever the output is that's what your stuck with. I believe LED are most efficient when they are about 5-6in off the water. The brackets that keep the fixture off the water look small. The last two things make it more difficult to acclimate corals.

Lighting is in the top tier of importance when it come to reef tanks. I would spend a little more now so you don't have to come back and buy something a little nicer later.

Curtismaximus;872738 wrote: It looks good to me but I see a few problems. There are not many blue LEDs compared to the whites. You will need to supplement the lack of blues with more LED strips or T5s. There are no dimmers so whatever the output is that's what your stuck with. I believe LED are most efficient when they are about 5-6in off the water. The brackets that keep the fixture off the water look small. The last two things make it more difficult to acclimate corals.

Lighting is in the top tier of importance when it come to reef tanks. I would spend a little more now so you don't have to come back and buy something a little nicer later.

I agree...not enough blue LED's. Now you could probably easily exchange whites for blues. If I were going to do that, I'd go ahead and put in some other blue's (420nm) along with a couple of violet and maybe even some reds. For the price, I think you can do much better.

I was hoping that the "optional timer" had a dimmer setting but that doesn't seem to be the case. Any suggestions as far as another route/manufact Curt/Porpoise?

CaptHutch;872740 wrote: I was hoping that the "optional timer" had a dimmer setting but that doesn't seem to be the case. Any suggestions as far as another route/manufact Curt/Porpoise?

Several....eShine makes a light that comes with controller that will simulate solar change (I use this one myself). MaxSpect comes with a controller that can do everything including lightening. There are so many out there that it's impossible for any one person to know them all. Keep researching.

I would take a good look at the reefbreeders led's. I think they're the top tier of the "budget" led's.

Porpoise, your dimensions would be similiar to my 75 except deeper and wider wouldn't it? U get the coverage u need and how long have u had the eShine?

Edit:
Ringo®;872745 wrote: I would take a good look at the reefbreeders led's. I think they're the top tier of the "budget" led's.

I looked at them Ringo, they seem to be behind in shipping (3 weeks)! I need to do something sooner than that.

Ringo®;872745 wrote: I would take a good look at the reefbreeders led's. I think they're the top tier of the "budget" led's.

I agree. If your on a budget I would go with Reefbreeders or the EBay/Taotronic fixtures with dimmers. I use the black box Taotronic fixtures with dimmers and love them! I have three over my 120g long and to me it has been perfect so far.

CaptHutch;872747 wrote: Porpoise, your dimensions would be similiar to my 75 except deeper and wider wouldn't it? U get the coverage u need and how long have u had the eShine?

Edit:

I looked at them Ringo, they seem to be behind in shipping (3 weeks)! I need to do something sooner than that.

Which unit were you looking at? He just got a Shipment yesterday and should have some units in stock.

CaptHutch;872747 said:
Porpoise, your dimensions would be similiar to my 75 except deeper and wider wouldn't it? U get the coverage u need and how long have u had the eShine?

Ummm...No...my 180 is 6' long. Now when I had my 93 cube...it was 30 x 30 x 24t. The eShine covered it very well (takes 2 on that size tank and 3 over a 6' tank). I've had it about a year and I love it. Mine is their 4G and they are now on the 5G version. It has a smaller controller. About $330 to the US.
a>.

Curtismaximus;872750 wrote: I agree. If your on a budget I would go with Reefbreeders or the EBay/Taotronic fixtures with dimmers. I use the black box Taotronic fixtures with dimmers and love them! I have three over my 120g long and to me it has been perfect so far.

Agree, I just got a Reefbreeders value unit for my 28 cube and over it so far. $169 w/90 degree optics, dimmable and that included shipping.

There is a light fixture that is on eBay sold by a seller HobbieBug. He has lights that equal to Reef breeders and can ship immediately.
I bought two on monday and had them on friday. I love this lights.

QUOTE=Curtismaximus;872750]I agree. If your on a budget I would go with Reefbreeders or the EBay/Taotronic fixtures with dimmers. I use the black box Taotronic fixtures with dimmers and love them! I have three over my 120g long and to me it has been perfect so far.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, been out imitating a Fireman. Spoke w/Reefbreeders a while ago. He has more units (Photon 48) coming in on Thursday. Still on the fence w/the LED's, anyone got a 48" MH setup for sale?

Back