Anyone have any Chemi-Clean?

dakota9

Market
Reaction score
Long story......

I have two clowns that love to eat (I've never seen fish eat like this) so I knew I was in an overfeeding situation, but (thought) I held it in check with maintance.

I bought some Macros (wont say where) mainly for the pods. I usually rinse macros in new SW then disgard the water, but since I needed the pods, I didn't this time. Big mistake!

The day after I put the macro in my refugium, I noticed this stringy algae type substance appearing everywhere in the refugium. I wiped it off knowing little could be done at that point. Now a few days later, it is speading like wildfire in my DT.

It's brown, stringy and almost looks like cobwebs. It loosely attaches to everything, although it can be blown away using a turkey baster. Seems that once it is dettached from a surface, it doesn't reattach, but doesn't die either.

I've done a huge water change, also I've been diatoming since yesterday and trying to keep as much of the stuff in the water colume as possible for the filter to pick up by occasionally directing a powerhead over the rock pile and substrate.

I don't mention where I got the macro from as its presence might only be coincodental to the appearance of this stuff ( that I've never seen before), as I have a couple of issues going on. I have a overfeeding situation, plus with the season change, I'm getting much more sunlight than say a month ago due to the sun being lower in the sky.

Was thinking Chemi-Clean would help clear this up, but cant find it locally. I've researched the product well, plus Danny B. gives it his seal of approval.

I've seen simarlar "blooms" to this, and thinking it might run its coarse, but thought I'd try Chemi-Clean to clean it up, and the added benefit of cleaner water.

Anybody got this product on hand that I could purchase from you? I need to treat appr. 90 gallons.

Thank you!

Anyone

Dakota, I have some but you are pretty far from me. I know I've seen it in a couple of the Petlands and at least one of the LFS in Lawrenceville. It's in a very small box. It is specific to taking care of cyano-bacteria so not sure it would help whatever the stuff you have or not.

I read that it is supposed to burn up nutirent in the water, detrius and such, thought it might help for this reason.

I know Petland Dunwoody carries it. They're open until 7 today. If you're heading that way, bring a water sample and have them check your phosphate and nitrate levels. It never hurts to call ahead of time:
770-396-7358.

Can you post a pic of the algae?

Danny, Taking pictures of it is fruitless, as i don't have a lense that's going to zoom in that close (almost literally like cobweb thin). One thing that you could see from the pics are the thousands of tiny little air bubbles that is all over the rock pile because of this algae. I've not had the skimmers on for about 24 hours, so it can't be micro bubbles from the skimmers. Last night, all the bubbles were gone, got home from work today and the rocks are loaded down again with tiny bubbles. I used the the baster to blow them off, and when they float to the surface, tiny threads of this algae are attached to each bubble......

Does this help with any diagnosis?

I've cut the feeding in half, and plan to cut it even more.

Thanks for any advice!

PS, just got home from my parttime job, too late to pick up any chemi-clean from anywhere today. I'll try tomorrow!

Dakota, look up dinoflagellates.

Sounds more like dinos than cyano. They are easily confused. Dinos are rather nasty...

FutureInterest;92803 wrote: Dakota, look up dinoflagellates.

Sounds more like dinos than cyano. They are easily confused. Dinos are rather nasty...

Agreed. And chemi-clean will only work for cyano. What is your water source? RODI? If it is tap water, you have found you root source.

FutureInterest;92803 wrote: Dakota, look up dinoflagellates.

Jin is right about dinos being nasty. He once helped me diagnose dinoflagellates- probaby saved my tank. The animals that were first affected in my tank were zoas, anemones, and snails. How are yours doing???

Back