Anyone have bad experiences with Asterina Stars?

derek_s

Market
Reaction score
I have had a few zoa colonies with some dieoff lately. And I do mean zoas, not palys or similar. I have looked for irritants like nudis, but I cant find anything on the colonies except for those tiny asterina type starfish. I have wondered if there are varieties that are harmful to zoas?

I have witnesed one eating some of my galaxia before. So eveyone I see gets thrown into the carpet nem...

if they are colored anything other than grey or white then they are usually bad. if they are pink, purple, etc, they usually eat corals.

Yeah, mine are very similar to any other I have seen. Whitish brown. none are pink, or other notable colors.

I wonder what will get them off the colonies? Are tehy sensitive to iodine? If I could catch my hawk fish I'd just get one of those shrimp that eat stars... whatever they;re called.

Its just strange. I have never had a problem before, and I have always had tons of these guys. I wonder if their usual food source has become scarce or something.

Anyone with Harlequins want some stars? I can harvest a bunch...

I've been thinking of getting one of those shrimp for some time. I have a billion of those stars, whether they are bad or not though, I have no clue.

I am of the same opinion with sterinas as I am with bristleworms and clean up crew in general. They get an unfair rep. Too often, they are merely eating ded or dying tissue and scavenging, and they are blamed for the cause of death. I certainly do not doubt people find these stars on corals, but which came first, the chicken or the egg? Was the coral dead/dying, or was the star killing it? I beieve the first, when, as Derek as indicated, they often coexist just fine for long periods, and then suddenly start eating? I dont buy it. I have probably millions of these things in my tanks and have never had reason to think them harmful.

Exactly, I tend to agree with you Jeremy. I do not believe that I have introduced any new ones to the system by accident, and they didnt bother anything before.

The only guess I had was that their food had become more scarce, which I find hard to believe. I know some animals, especiall hermits, will eat odd things when they are hungry enough. I see them on the glass 'apparently' eating film algaes. I have been gettign my NO3 and PO4 lower and lower which has resulted in less algae, but I know there is still plenty available for them.

Which, leads me to assumption 2.
Maybe the lowering of the NO3 over the past few weeks from 20 to <5 has been the culprit. I dont feel like it dropped super fast (4-6 week span, maybe?) , but perhaps it was fast enough to shock the few that are affected.

I have posted this before but I have seen the blue / gray astrina (sp) starfish crawl across a perfectly healthy colony of Paly's (PPE's) and kill them. The polyps will close up and then just start melting away over a day or two. If you search on the Club Zoa (R2R) site you will see similar posts.

Darren

Funny.....but I have seen more of these in the last couple weeks in my 210 than I have in the previous 6 months. So much so that I bought a Harlequin Shrimp for my 100 gallon and just toss the Asterinas I find on the 210 glass into the 100 to feed it.

I'm hoping I have enough of a population in the 210 so I don't have to buy any feeder starfish for it.
Dave

Darren24;303891 wrote: I have posted this before but I have seen the blue / gray astrina (sp) starfish crawl across a perfectly healthy colony of Paly's (PPE's) and kill them. The polyps will close up and then just start melting away over a day or two. If you search on the Club Zoa (R2R) site you will see similar posts.

Darren

Interesting observation. I do not know what a starfish could be producing that would kill a coral days after the fact, without showing obvious signs of degradatuion/consumption. Eeven the crown of thorns just sits on a coral and eats it. As far as I am aware, no starfish can secrete a toxin of poisin that will settle or lay on a coral and poison it. Curious...

Seeing is believing. We've gone over this before Jeremy, and I've witnessed it as well. Kill them all imo just to be sure.

Very true Jin. I am not doubting anyones experience or impression, I just find it a little hard to believe. I feel the same way about people saying their cleaner or peppermint shrimp "ate" their clam. Nonetheless, to each their own. Jin, I hear theiyre delicious.

FutureInterest;304060 wrote: Seeing is believing. Kill them all imo just to be sure.

I kill them as sson as I see them. I don't see a benifit to them, except when the little one freaks because she found one so I can get it out of the tank. I have a free mini star hunter!

Back