Anyone here ever run dual return pumps?

Collink91

Supporting
Reaction score
I like the idea of redundancy/fail safe on having two return pumps, but my tank only has one return line drilled. Can I attach two pumps to the same return line running on, say, 50 percent a piece?

I wouldn't run two at once on one line. You could plumb the with one way flapper valves and have both plugged to a controller so that if one fails you can just activate the other pump. To properly run them both at the same time you will need to add a separate line for the second pump, otherwise they will fight each other for pressure in the line.

To run multiple pumps on a single return line would require check valves on each pump's line to be successful. Otherwise, the water from the pump left working will take the path of least resistance and back-flow through the non-working pump, because it is lower than the aquarium return (less head pressure). I'm assuming you have 2 pumps joined with a Y or T in this scenario?

Or, are you considering running them in series? If so, the pump left running would have to push against the dead pump's impeller, with reduced flow.

That being said, I have run check valves before but would not do so again. Just one more thing to fail that I can eliminate.

Otherwise, it is possible under something like this-
I have 3 in my system. Each feeds a different tank. There are 3 tanks, a common sump and separate refugium with total volume of 140 gallons. Each pump has it's own return line.

Last edited:
yeah i mostly was wanting to run two pumps to the same tank in the chance that one failed and the controller would catch it and ramp the second pump up to circulate in the tank. but if it's more of a headache than it is worth, I'll just have a backup pump on hand in case of emergencies. thanks guys!

You can have 2 pumps running together, as has been mentioned you'd need to use check valves on each pump's effluent. I'm not sure how you would be able to have a controller ramp one up if the other fails unless you invested in Apex flow meters on each pump as well. But as long as you add check valves there's no reason two pumps running into the same line wouldn't work.

On my new build I plan on running two EcoTech vector M2 returns. One M2 straight to the DT and the other will go through the chiller and then into the DT. Both will have check valves to prevent siphons back into sump in the event of power loss/pump failure.

Back