Anyone here familiar with Window AC units.

james s_

Market
Reaction score
Im planning on using a window unit in my fish room that is in my basement to control Temp. and Humidity in the room.Anyone using one at their house and have any recommendations? Im looking at a Kenmore unit at Sears that runs around $300 bucks after taxes.Seems to have the best reviews online.
Heres a link to the one I might be buying..........
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=APPL&cat=Air+Conditioners&subcat=Single+Room+Units&pid=04275101000">http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=APPL&cat=Air+Conditioners&subcat=Single+Room+Units&pid=04275101000</a>

I actually bought one today at Home Depot<u></u>(An Everstar Portable AC Unit)then read the reviews online and said that it was really loud and innefficient So im going to take it back.I was hoping to not have a unit sticking out of my house,but I want it too be efficient and quiet since my bedroom is above my fish room.From what I have read the portable ones do not follow that criteria.

Wonder how a wine cellar cooling unit would be. Many of them are made to not be window mounted although they are more than window mounted AC. I see them on ebay from time to time.

Big D;70957 wrote: <span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">Don't know much about window units... I've got a portable (Everstar I think, from HD) that I've actually been running in the house for the last week to help out the main a/c units (three year old house, cheap a$$ builder :roll: ). It's very quiet, the only thing is the portables have a water collection tray that shuts the unit off when it needs to be emptied. We empty it about 3 times a day, lots of water in the house, must be the tanks. :D The other downfall to a portable unit is it takes up floor space where as a window unit wouldn't.</span>

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">Big D</span>

Im used to that allready from running Dehumidifiers in my basement.Im trying to stay away from emptying water tray's all the time.Floor Space is not a concern to me since it will just be sitting in my fish room but I am concerned with the energy consumption and the noise.I was a little apprehensive after Ive read a few reviews that I found.Looks like HomeDepot has stopped carrying this model also,which worries me a bit.This was the last one they had and was actually a returned Item.But I did get it at 35% off.
Do you have this unit?
a>

balagan;70960 wrote: Wonder how a wine cellar cooling unit would be. Many of them are made to not be window mounted although they are more than window mounted AC. I see them on ebay from time to time.

Interesting ,Ill look into that. The unit I buy will probably be running year round,so efficiency is my main concern. Even if it is not cooling in the winter it will still be used for Humidity control,by using the fan option.

I don't think the fan of a window unit is going to do anything for humidity, you need the compressor running to suck the moisture from the air...

Please read this, as I made this mistake and wouldn't want to see someone else do the same.........

Last year, I ran a window unit to assist the central a/c system, problem was that I ran the window unit in the same room that the thermostat to the central system was located. It caused the compressor in the central system to burn out, I had to pay $1000.00 to get a new compressor for the central a/c.....

If you run window units to assist a central unit, the window unit HAS to be in a different room, preferably with a closed door between the window unit and thermostat to the central unit.

Running both at the same time will cause the central unit to start and stop VERY frequently putting a lot of wear on the compressor. It was never my intention to run them both at the same time, but yet it happened by accident from time to time.

Its a good idea to use a window unit for cooling the one room you're in, just keep it away from the central system thermostat

Oh, and I have 4 window units.....

G.E. and Goldstar, both seemed to do well and cost less than the central unit running all the time..... Although with the fiasco they caused last year, this year I just left them in the garage.......

Dakota9;71018 wrote: I don't think the fan of a window unit is going to do anything for humidity, you need the compressor running to suck the moisture from the air...

Please read this, as I made this mistake and wouldn't want to see someone else do the same.........

Last year, I ran a window unit to assist the central a/c system, problem was that I ran the window unit in the same room that the thermostat to the central system was located. It caused the compressor in the central system to burn out, I had to pay $1000.00 to get a new compressor for the central a/c.....

If you run window units to assist a central unit, the window unit HAS to be in a different room, preferably with a closed door between the window unit and thermostat to the central unit.

Running both at the same time will cause the central unit to start and stop VERY frequently putting a lot of wear on the compressor. It was never my intention to run them both at the same time, but yet it happened by accident from time to time.

Its a good idea to use a window unit for cooling the one room you're in, just keep it away from the central system thermostat

Thanks for the Info..No worries, My fish room is going to be completely sealed from the rest of my basement,including an exterior door leading into the room.My room is Approx. 10' X 15' .No AC or thermostat in my basement anyways.
Your probably right about the fan,Im not sure but I know there is a setting for just Humidity.Its like the Dry setting or the Energy Saver option or something.

Dakota9;71021 wrote: Oh, and I have 4 window units.....

G.E. and Goldstar, both seemed to do well and cost less than the central unit running all the time..... Although with the fiasco they caused last year, this year I just left them in the garage.......

Glad to hear that. Now Im just trying to decide If I should take the portable one back and buy the Kenmore or just keep the portable one.

buy a kenmore i have one in our theater room. and that thing with out it got up to 85 and now it stays in the 65s.

Consumer Reports from 7/2006 lists:

LG GL6000R as a top best buy. - 6000 BTU
Frigidare FAA067P7A as the next best buy - 6000 BTU
Kenmore 76081 as next down on best buy. - 8000 BTU

Not all models by those makers were rated well, though. Stay away from Sharp and Goldstar brands for brownouts, but some of the LG and Frigidare had some brownout issues.

George;71055 wrote: Consumer Reports from 7/2006 lists:

Frigidare FAA067P7A as the next best buy - 6000 BTU
Kenmore 76081 as next down on best buy. - 8000 BTU

Not all models by those makers were rated well, though. Stay away from Sharp and Goldstar brands for brownouts, but some of the LG and Frigidare had some brownout issues.

Good Info.Thats one thing I liked about the Kenmore,that it restarts instantly after power outages ,and it is cheap compared to the other two.Im interested in a 10000BTU unit so I will look at what the Consumer Reports say about them.

George;71055 wrote: Consumer Reports from 7/2006 lists:

But some of the LG and Frigidare had some brownout issues.

This one is priced pretty good at $199 at Best Buy,But I wonder if it big enough to handle my room with all the tank volume and humidity.

All of those are quality brands.

I recently purchased a Goldstar dehumidifier but unlike the portable AC unit it has a bypass so you can hook up a line to a threaded nipple on the machine to drain it instead of emptying the drain pan every day.

Seedless Reefer;71105 wrote: All of those are quality brands.

I recently purchased a Goldstar dehumidifier but unlike the portable AC unit it has a bypass so you can hook up a line to a threaded nipple on the machine to drain it instead of emptying the drain pan every day.

Run the line to a bucket w/pump run it back to the tank.:sick:

In the 10,000 BTU units, they liked the Haier ESA3105 (I believe Brandsmart USA carrier Haier) and Frigidare FAC107P1A. However the Kenmore 75101 and 75121 were rated higher than both units in tests, but I think they dinged them for harder than normal installation.

<span style="color: Red;"><u>ALERT</u></span>: It seems some of the units require a manual turn-on after power failure. Obviously this would be a SERIOUS design flaw for your needs.

George;71214 wrote: In the 10,000 BTU units, they liked the Haier ESA3105 (I believe Brandsmart USA carrier Haier) and Frigidare FAC107P1A. However the Kenmore 75101 and 75121 were rated higher than both units in tests, but I think they dinged them for harder than normal installation.

<span style="color: Red;"><u>ALERT</u></span>: It seems some of the units require a manual turn-on after power failure. Obviously this would be a SERIOUS design flaw for your needs.

Cool thanks George. I returned the Portable one to HD yesterday,I just didnt feel after reading the reviews,that it could keep up with the humidity in my room.So I've decided to buy the Kenmore75101 at Sears,It has all the features that Ive been looking for,and has a good Rep to boot.And as you mentioned it has an auto restart that turns the unit on in case of an power outage.Plus Kenmore has been out for ages,and Sears has a pretty good Reputation about standing behind their stuff.

Your right about the harder installation,and from what Ive read online,It just a matter of installing the case,and then sliding the heavy part with all the internals into the case.So its a two part install instead of it being one solid unit,no big deal.It should be sturdier that way so I feel comfortable with my decision.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Back