Anyone know what these critters are?

Tanster2

Market
Reaction score
At first I thought flatworms, but they’re completely stationary and attached to the rock. Upon closer examination, they’re irregularly shaped and I’m not sure if they’re some sort of sponge, worm, or what. They’re mostly on a single rock which they prefer for some odd reason. They’re soft and slightly squishy to the touch.

Are you referring to the big red bumps?

They look familiar; maybe a sponge. As long as they aren’t aggressive, I like them.

My apologies, I am indeed referencing the red blotchy looking things. I’m thinking sponges as well.

I’m a big fan of sponges and tunicates! We’ll see if someone else recognizes the photos. Otherwise, I could ID it better in person.

If they are sponges, don’t expose them to air. A tiny bit of air, even a micro bubble, can be a death sentence for sponges. And if you don’t like them, save one for me before you eliminate them. ... lol, or maybe they aren’t even sponges at all. We’ll see.

I’m aware of keeping them away from air! I’ve just never seen these before besides in my own tank and couldn’t find any ID on them. I can scrape you off a few if they end up being something desirable

Do you think you could get a good top down shot?

In the last couple pics they kinda look like a mushroom. How long have they been in the tank?
The ones I had were a bit bigger and would detach and ended up all over the tank. In some cases killing parts of sps. That's why I won't be adding them to the new tank. You saying they're all on one rock leads me to think that they may be sponges too.

Do you think you could get a good top down shot?

In the last couple pics they kinda look like a mushroom. How long have they been in the tank?
The ones I had were a bit bigger and would detach and ended up all over the tank. In some cases killing parts of sps. That's why I won't be adding them to the new tank. You saying they're all on one rock leads me to think that they may be sponges too.

No, they aren't mushrooms. I'll get a top down picture when I get home. These things are maybe 5mms in length. They're really smaller than they appear in this photo. I wish I had a darned microscope.

My first thought when I saw the pics you posted as red valonia algae. Once I started looking closer I was less and less certain but I do know that it can grow in really irregular shapes. It's basically a red bubble algae but I've dealt with it in the past and it sometimes does grow in weird flat shapes. Typically the giveaway is that it's got these bright orange spots on it and it usually is more bubble shaped. I've never seen it grow like that but thought I'd throw it out there.

Hard to really tell from the pictures, but look up Red Bubble Algae, Botryocladia, and red Lobophora. My bet it more on Botryocladia.

My first thought when I saw the pics you posted as red valonia algae. Once I started looking closer I was less and less certain but I do know that it can grow in really irregular shapes. It's basically a red bubble algae but I've dealt with it in the past and it sometimes does grow in weird flat shapes. Typically the giveaway is that it's got these bright orange spots on it and it usually is more bubble shaped. I've never seen it grow like that but thought I'd throw it out there.
I'd say that's possible. I do have a small patch of green bubble algae, so the idea of other bubble algae isn't impossible. I'll see if I can get some better pictures today. These little blotches aren't round at all, but as you mentioned red valonia can look irregular and shape too

[/QUOTE]

Potentially some kind of macro then, interesting.

I found this post on Reef Central, and these photos are EXACTLY what I have in my tank. Still no positive ID.

Well, at least you know other people have had to deal with this algae before. There has to be some info out there somewhere. When you post on R2R it might help to include all the new information you found, and maybe a few other pictures and someone will be able to help you.

Good luck Dylan.

Well, at least you know other people have had to deal with this algae before. There has to be some info out there somewhere. When you post on R2R it might help to include all the new information you found, and maybe a few other pictures and someone will be able to help you.

Good luck Dylan.
Will do, I appreciate you and everyone else chiming in!

Back