Anyone know where I can get bus cables cheap

Bestbuy will more than likely have it. If not there, try RadioShack and possibly Walmart.

yes, that is a type of bus cable. USB (universal serial bus) is another. What do you need it for?

more specifically. What are you connecting? Where did you get the info that you need a bus cable? I had a reef keeper but it had several bus cables. The one that connects modules was a typical phone line bus cable. The one for thr temp probe was another in which I can't remember the name.

MarquiseO;989233 wrote: more specifically. What are you connecting? Where did you get the info that you need a bus cable? I had a reef keeper but it had several bus cables. The one that connects modules was a typical phone line bus cable. The one for thr temp probe was another in which I can't remember the name.

i just want to have a few backups thats all.

Shawn,
They differ from phone lines. The below quote is from a question on Reef Central, and explains the difference. The guy answering the question is Dave Morris, who is a Digital Aquatics Product Forum Staffer. The important difference is the contacts being a straight pass through comment. You can damage your ReefKeeper if you use regular phone lines.

Basically, you have to make them yourself, as they are not an off the shelf purchase from an electronics store. You can also purchase DA bus cables separately from any DA retailer. All the online sellers have them if you don't make them yourself.

>
Q: I'm looking to be picking up a RKL L3 in the near future, and have a question regarding the bus cables.

What kind of cables are they? I'm assuming they aren't some proprietary thing, are they just CAT-5E? Or something else?

-Hans

A: Dave Moris: They are proprietary, but fairly easy to make if you have the talent. They use a 6 conductor cable with 6c RJ11 jacks. The trick is that the contacts are a straight pass through, unlike phone cables. All six conductors are used. I make my own, but if you make your own cable and toast your system, it will not be covered under warranty. The RKL3 comes with the necessary cables and they sell them separately as well pretty cheap.

I had the reef keeper elite and I used phone lines that came additionally with my wireless modem to connect my sl2 module to my mlc module without a problem. I guarantee that link you read was an old link around the time when DA wanted people to only purchase their products for use with their system. That cable is not solely made by DA.

jrhunter0000;989294 wrote: Im using a adapter and a 15 ft phone line to my head unit just fine. Ebay is where i got mine.

He can get those adapters at lowes in the wiring isle.

MarquiseO;989290 wrote: I had the reef keeper elite and I used phone lines that came additionally with my wireless modem to connect my sl2 module to my mlc module without a problem. I guarantee that link you read was an old link around the time when DA wanted people to only purchase their products for use with their system. That cable is not solely made by DA.

I never said the cables were solely made by DA, neither did the link. I stated DA sold the cables pre made. The information is current and still applies to RKE and RKL wiring, and also gave the specific wiring and jacks needed to make your own.

The important part is that the 6 wire cable/jack setup is a pass through design, which is not the design of standard phone cables. You can make them, but you need the correct cable and the correct jacks, which is specifically what the information I posted conveyed.

And if the components to make them are available at RS or WM or BB for purchase or the wires are premade elsewhere, then all the better, as long as they are a straight pass through design.

Back