Anyone own a white tail tang?

jdavid

Market
Reaction score
Also known as a whitetail bristletooth tang. They are uncommon, and perhaps the smallest tang (reaching a max 5" length)

Just wondering if anyone has actually kept one.

Tang_100426_PS.jpg
alt="" />

The Fish Store had two or three about 6 months ago. Beautiful fish. I also am interested to hear if anyone on here bought them and how they are doing and how they do with other fish.

The ones I've been seeing on DD and other online vendors is about $250. I think they're similarly mannered to other bristletooth tangs.

You can get one a lot cheaper than that, east pacific aquaculture has some

It is basically a white tail Kole Tang. Koles are great fish. They eat algae, and stay small for a tang. I have one in each of my tanks.

I would not expect this to be any different.

I've been doing some more research.

Basically the same, same genus, but two different species. The white tail tang is bright yellow as a juvenile, and then changes to that color pattern resembling a kole tang with a white tail. The white tail is the smallest tang, the max length recorded is 4.6"

That's a full inch less than an adult kole tang. They may be similar behaviorally, but I'm looking for the smallest tang period and still haven't decided if it will be okay to have but am looking into it

What I like about them outside of their small size for a tang is they are not pricks like other tangs can be. Pretty peaceful for a tang.

There is one at Pure Reef and I was having a serious debate w/ myself on it but just couldn't pull the trigger on the price. It was the first I had seen of one and I thought it was a gorgeous fish.

Back