Anyone running 240v lighting?

rbredding

Market
Reaction score
Is anyone running 240v for their lighting on the tank?

either MH or fluorescents..

I'm considering bringing in a 240v 30amp line in to feed a small load center on the aquarium base.. I know lighting and motors pull much less amperage when running 240 (vs. 110) and since the MH lamps are going to be running every day for at least 10 hours.. I think it will save me money in the long run... (not to mention I can wire my return pump and chiller both 240, increasing my savings even more)

my plan is to run these 3 items on the same circuit, and all the other aquarium items on a 110 out of the same load center.

Even if I don't use the 240v wiring, I'll probably still add a load center with a 6' extension cord that will feed from a new 240v outlet

anyone?

bueller??

Wattage is the same no matter how much voltage you throw at it...Sorry IMO It would not be cost effective to switch to 240 volt..and would only provide less amperage drain on your panelboard load.

They are all right. THat doesn't mean that it doesn't have uses, though. As James said, it is a good option if you are limited on the amount of Amps you can pull from your service box. Otherwise it is probably not worth it.

Now maybe 3 phase... :) (Tool Time grunt sound)

Back