Anyone try this?

sbmille2

Supporting
Reaction score
Was looking into the automatic neck cleaner for my skimmer but couldn't find any reviews that were worthwhile. While looking I found this......
watch

I don't know about the one that you posted, but I have seen a few members with auto cleaners. I'm also curious as to how they work.

I have the Swabbie (Avast Marine) on my MRC2-R skimmer. Very happy with it... although it's not a necessity. I can clean the skimmer cup once a month vs once a week.

I have the Reef Octopus neck cleaner and it's awesome. I have it setup on my Apex and comes on for a couple of mins every 6 hours. It cleans it enough to prevent a buildup but not enough to remove the film you want for effective skimming. I still clean it every couple of months as part of my pm so it's not completely maintenance free.

Does the actual neck cleaner not get filthy itself? It would seem to me that it would get as much junk on it as the neck does normally..... except it'd be much more labor intensive to clean it off.

That's one of my YouTube buddies lol. I've done the same modification to my skimmer and it works great. When I feed my fish daily I will give it a turn manually and it cleans the gunk out the inside of the cup and makes the skimmate more efficient.

sbmille2;1020183 wrote: Does the actual neck cleaner not get filthy itself? It would seem to me that it would get as much junk on it as the neck does normally..... except it'd be much more labor intensive to clean it off.

The top of the paddles do get pretty nasty so I clean it every couple if months. It's fairly simple to clean with one plastic screw holding the paddles in place and a lot of the waste goes down into the skim locker.

Back