Anyone use carbon in their ATO reservoir

dball711

Supporting
Reaction score
I have a 3 gallon FW reservoir that my ATO pumps pull top off water from. It's got a RODI feed tied to a float valve so it's been set and forget. About a year ago I found globs of slime had formed so I started breaking it down every 2 months for a thorough cleaning. Recently I thought I could add a small internal filter whit some ROX carbon to help keep the water fresh. Curious if anyone else is doing this or has any thoughts on if this is a good or bad idea?

Hmm. I hadn't thought of that. I'm using a 32 gallon Brute and I having looked in it for over a year and a half. My main water storage barrels don't show any sings of a buildup in them but now I'm interested as to how the ATO Brute looks inside.

I don't think it will hurt anything, but I believe it will have limited positive affect on your water quality since it isn't being forced through the media. One thought is make sure that white stuff doesn't start growing MORE.. I mean.. adding carbon is adding a carbon source:) because.. you know.. its... well its carbon ... right? Make sure you post in a few months about any changes you may notice.

The slim you describe sounds like bacteria to me. How often do you check your product water?

Hey I had a weird thought. Slime, bacteria, whatever... if its alive it has to eat, and to eat it needs some kind of fuel, and the ATO water should be 0 detectable. So, check to see if you have a very slow syphon back into the ATO container from your sump, which could be leeching nutrients little by little over time into that container, thus fueling water is alive in there.  Just a thought and worth checking out IMO.

That's why I asked if he checked his product water. Something is feeding it.

Just this week got a look inside my ATO as I'm redoing my mixing station to make room for a frag tank. The Brute does have a bit of an odd smell but there is no visible buildup on the walls or bottom. The smell isn't like a musty or moldy smell but more like a stale smell, it's hard to describe. I do keep a lid on it at all times but there are 2 small holes for the Ozmolator hose and pump wires. There's also a hole for a 3/4" pvc pipe that fills it.

I agree that if there is a bacteria slime that it has to be feeding on something. As mentioned the TDS of the water used to fill the ATO should be double checked and then, that there is no chance of back siphoning like Brandon said. If both are good then is there another way anything could get in there? Also, hat kind of container is it?

Back