Anyone use freeze-dried krill?

budsreef

Market
Reaction score
One of the things I am trying to feed my lionfish is freeze-dried krill. I soak it a while and add a drop of garlic, but it just floats on the surface looking like a piece of pink plastic. Even if the lionfish is at the surface and it floats by it ignores it. Does anyone else use this for any kind of fish and is there anythng you can do so it sinks rather than floats?

my old one liked silversides more but useing frozen foods you should place it on a skewer or cut down clothes hanger and wave it around so it atleast looks alive. can be a pain to feed these fish.

Thanks, I've been able to feed them the silversides, but I have this whole can of freeze-dried krill that I'm trying to figure out how to use.

sorry didnt notice it was freeze dried, may be a no go with him. best thing would be to get frozen krill, you may find a way to use the dried but usualy its to small.

I take a pinch every now and again and stick my fingers all the way in and rub together to help some soak water. some pieces go strait up which I have to clean out, but a good bit kind of hover in place and the fish like them as a treat. I had a bottle left over from a FW tank. but its not an effective food to me so I don't use it too often.

and I have small fish so the pieces some times end up being too big.

I had some and had the same problem. I eventually added it to a batch of home made frozen food and used it that way.

Our lionfish eats everything but for months it wouldn't. Here's how I did it:

- Fed him live ghost shrimp from a set of tongs.
- Then dead ghost shrimp from tongs
- Then the same for silversides
- So every time he saw the tongs, he know "food"
- Then freeze dried krill
- now whatever I drop on the water, he eats. No tongs needed.

I used to get lions eating freeze dried krill all the time. I used Tetra Jumbo Krill. I don't like really for anything other than their Jumbo Krill. Try this:

1. Dip the krill in the water repeatedly to get the lion's attention.
2. When the lion approaches, release the krill so it starts to float away across the surface. The motion should keep his attention.
3. Repeat daily until he finally goes for it. Don't be afriad to starve him for a few days.

Chris

This sounds like a good plan. What kind of tongs did you use? I had some ghost shrimp but I just dropped it in and let them go after it. I have two of these guys and one of them was eating dead stuff in the store so I know he'll eat when he is hungry or at least once he gets used to me feeding him. The other has only eaten live ghost shrimp until yesterday he ate the head of a silversides.

ChrisOzment;228130 wrote: Our lionfish eats everything but for months it wouldn't. Here's how I did it:

- Fed him live ghost shrimp from a set of tongs.
- Then dead ghost shrimp from tongs
- Then the same for silversides
- So every time he saw the tongs, he know "food"
- Then freeze dried krill
- now whatever I drop on the water, he eats. No tongs needed.

Thanks, Danny I'll give this a try too.

DannyBradley;228204 wrote: I used to get lions eating freeze dried krill all the time. I used Tetra Jumbo Krill. I don't like really for anything other than their Jumbo Krill. Try this:

1. Dip the krill in the water repeatedly to get the lion's attention.
2. When the lion approaches, release the krill so it starts to float away across the surface. The motion should keep his attention.
3. Repeat daily until he finally goes for it. Don't be afriad to starve him for a few days.

Back