Anyone use this rock? Experience?

camellia

Supporting
Reaction score
I came across some great looking artificial (live) rock at Sea Atlanta yesterday. Unfortunately they didn't have the Tonga branch type that I love the looks of in a reef tank.
I found this today and love the shape. It's also very reasonably priced, pic 1 is $12 and pic 2 is $20.

Has anyone used this artificial dyed rock?

Any comments, experience or review of how it matures in a reef tank compared to live rock appreciated.

607B24FB-1FD8-4043-B5D2-3E0891FADCA2_zpsurtgtkeo.png
alt="" />

11EE1FA8-77ED-4B7C-82DE-72BA17026C17_zpsyblpiqnr.png
alt="" />

Do you have a link for information on it? It looks sweet, but rocks are more than just a decoration. Are these porous to any degree like real live rock would be? My biggest concern would be the piece's ability to host the necessary bacteria: not just on the surface but also within.

I've got a tank full of man made rock and it works just fine , but its not the same brand/type as the branching kind pictured .
I don't think you will have any issues with it.

John, I'll look to see exactly what's posted and post back.

Terry, I agree as this guy has sold tons of it and has excellent reviews.

If there's an interest by others, I'd place an order for all and get substantial shipping savings!

It does say it's porous and safe and sold from a "fish store"...

If anyone wants a piece tell me now, I'm going to get a piece to check it out.

1st pic is 14x5x10 $25 (or less do to combined shipping)
2nd pic is 12x8x12 $32 (or less)

Made from
POLYRESIN IMITATION LIVE REEF ROCK
AMAZINGLY DETAILED AND REALISTIC
MOLDED FROM CHOICE PIECES OF AUTHENTIC REEF ROCK

Camellia;1017067 wrote:
Made from
POLYRESIN IMITATION LIVE REEF ROCK
AMAZINGLY DETAILED AND REALISTIC
MOLDED FROM CHOICE PIECES OF AUTHENTIC REEF ROCK

Thats the main point right there. It will not be live rock in terms of bacteria colonizing it.

If you just want it for the shape its all good, coraline will grow on it(actually more then regular rock since it likes growing on plastic).

That's exactly why I want it, the shape. I've got a tank full of live rock and don't like it aesthetically!

I've got enough live rock for bacteria, critters, sponges...etc.

I don't need more live rock, just improved appearance :)

EnderG60;1017074 wrote: Thats the main point right there. It will not be live rock in terms of bacteria colonizing it.

If you just want it for the shape its all good, coraline will grow on it(actually more then regular rock since it likes growing on plastic).
Why can't bacteria colonize it? I thought bacteria could grow on most any surface.

Dapperjman;1017097 wrote: Why can't bacteria colonize it? I thought bacteria could grow on most any surface.

It will but Rock is porous and plastic is not. Surface area is extremely reduced. The more surface area the more bacteria.

I use it in my nano. I'll snap some pictures later tonight. My pH stability is drastically increased( not sure why) compared to natural rock.

Back