Apartment living

fishlips

Market
Reaction score
Anyone apartment living on the second floor with a big tank.How big?
I moving to second floor, I have 2 choice's. A 120 gal with a 30 gal frag tank next to it. Or a 180 gal by itself. Both set ups have 40breeder sump.

It depends on how the floors are constructed. If it's a full concrete slab and no engineered wood trusses you should be good. But it would be a good idea to see what the management says is the limit.

Management said fish tanks are ok. LOL.I ask for bottom floor.They said didn't have one.lts happen either way.

180 on a second floor I personally would not do. I can't imagine if all I had invested in there came crashing down

I'm going to set the 120 up with the 30 gal set up nest to it. At one time, I had my 180 set up on floor that had a crawl space.Before filling, went under to install 2 brace. I left a 1/8 of inch gap. After filling , Still had gap. But,I framed the house.

Idk if I'd go that large on a second floor. also they may say aquariums are ok but they will usually have a limit on size.

Fishlips;1101756 wrote: Management said fish tanks are ok. LOL.I ask for bottom floor.They said didn't have one.lts happen either way.
they said fish tanks are ok, as in the floor will carry the weight or that they don't mind having fish tank on the second floor? there's a big difference.

Fishlips;1101756 wrote: Management said fish tanks are ok. LOL.I ask for bottom floor.They said didn't have one.lts happen either way.

I didn't mean if they allowed them at all or not but if they had a size limit.
You posted about this topic last February so I'm sure you know the ropes. If they allow you to have a tank as large as a 180 I'd get it in writing. If there is a failure, of the tank or the structure, you don't want to end up liable.

On another note apartment living is usually shorter in term. With a 180 you'll have a lot to move if and when you do leave. If you're planning on buying a house in the next couple years maybe sticking with something a little smaller might be more prudent. That and carrying a 180 up a flight of stairs some like a pita, lol.

EcoReefGuy;1101757 wrote: 180 on a second floor I personally would not do. I can't imagine if all I had invested in there came crashing down

Agreed but if the floors are concrete it should be ok. But then come my other points above.

I had an 150 before in a 3rd floor. I've set it next to a wall of course and the structural floor was wood trusses. Never had a problem with the administration, but I can assure they never knew the weight of that thing. It handled right for more than 2 years until we have to move to another apartment in the same complex, this time at floor level.
I wouldn't do it again. Fortunately, I never had a leak and the tank was drilled, lucky for me I never overflowed any thing.
Could imagine what I could happen from having issues like overflowing, or busting a tank over 50 gallons, first soaked carpet then electrical issues, then the management calling at your phone, sounds silly, but that's a real situation.
In another side, I really, really don't think management would like to sign or make in writing a form that it could avoid them from acting legally against you if you end up damaging property, this wouldn't allow them to charge someone with damages, let's said water damage, structural damage or electrical damage. More likely the management would and could ask you for a higher rate deposit so they could absorb repairs from your pocket and any other needs.
But don't believe this, and just think about the pros and cons of what you want to do.

When I asked about if fish tanks where allowed, the girl said yes. I'm sure she has know idea what I have. But, I'm setting up the 120. Renters insurance is not required, But I always have it. Thanks guys.

The biggest tank I ever had on a 2nd floor apt was a 125 non drilled tank (no sump). I was often worried about it, but the floor never came crashing down. I think you should be fine.

There are also people below ya, who could be at worst killed if it fell through due to unforeseen rot in the wood, or have all of their stuff ruined by a tank shattering/leaking.

Ultimately, the neighbors below are taking 90% of the physical risk, while you take the financial one.

Just don't invite the downstairs neighbors in to see, especially if they have kids, they'd probably say something.

If I thought it would be a problem, I wouldn't set it up . It will be set up against aload barring wall. Across floor joist.

Well, Don't need to worry about the 2nd floor. Went there today Me and my wife.Went up the stairs, came down. We can't climb up and down those stairs.:eek: Went back told apt manger, and said we lost are down payment. Got a phone call, 2 hrs later with her telling me they got one on the bottom floor in 3 weeks. :yes:

check your lease regardless!!!!! most leases limit the size and the managers aren't familiar with the lease itself. In my leases we don't allow anything over 30 gallons PERIOD. Get something in writing from management to CYA.....

Fishlips;1101788 wrote: When I asked about if fish tanks where allowed, the girl said yes. I'm sure she has know idea what I have. But, I'm setting up the 120. Renters insurance is not required, But I always have it. Thanks guys.

Make sure you have a water escape rider on that insurance - it's not automatic. It's usually very cheap to add, and well worth the peace of mind.

Jenn

Thanks Jenn. Im going to talk to my agent before I move.Im just glad I'm on the bottom floor again. I only got 1 more yr of apartment living. And I can get back in the large tanks. Well , thats what I am planning.

You'll want water escape on the homeowners' insurance too :)

Back