APC Backup for return pump

mhepburn2

Market
Reaction score
I am considering getting an APC Back Up Extended Run Module for at least my return pump 60 Hz 0.66A. I would want at least 6 - 8 hrs run time. Any suggestions?

I considered a "check valve" but not sure that it will seal completely and consistently.

If you have any other set ups or suggestions they are welcome.

Why? Are you concerned about water draining back down through your return line? Or are you concerned about power outages for keeping circulation going?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are doing repairs to I 20 and the power gets shut off. Luckily, I was home when it happen. My sump sometimes after a water change does not accommodate the overflow volume and I would like to be safe with it.

How well does a check valve seal?

A quality one that is well maintained will seal well.

I am concerned about both. I have adjusted the return to skim the top but I would want at least continuous flow also so the corals don't get affected.

I am concerned about both. I have adjusted the return to skim the top but I would want at least continuous flow also so the corals don't get affected.

Dont know how that duplicated but What I wanted to say was do you know of a company that has reliable check valves?

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/georg-fischer-wye-check-valve.html">http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/georg-fischer-wye-check-valve.html</a>

Those power back up's are not made to run at that power consumption for that length of time, you can use it for your power heads in the tank to keep circulation going but you can do with out filtration for a few days.
Best thing to do is to fix the sump issue first and ever after a water change you should not be overflowing, even with a power failure.
In the sump undersized?

MYREEFCLUB0070;1053421 wrote: Those power back up's are not made to run at that power consumption for that length of time, you can use it for your power heads in the tank to keep circulation going but you can do with out filtration for a few days.
Best thing to do is to fix the sump issue first and ever after a water change you should not be overflowing, even with a power failure.
In the sump undersized?
+1..... the only thing you should really run on a ups when the power goes out is a low wattage powerhead for water movement. When I had my tunzes installed, I use to have one or two tunzes connected to my UPS and when the power went out I got 6 or 8 hours out of the UPS. Bigger UPS's and lower wattage pumps work the best.

Last Saturday, my power was out for 2.5 hours. The backup lasted for about 2 hours with pump and powerheads going in my 60 cube. I gave up after two hours as I could see how fast the pump was using the backup and unplugged the pump. The powerheads could have run another couple of hours but the power came back. Next time, I'm not going to worry about the pump and just let the powerheads and heater do their thing. Ditto on the pump being off overflowing the sump. That shouldn't happen.

Thanks Guys!!!

Fantastic advice all round.

I adjusted the return "outlet" yesterday so that it is a quarter inch below the water level in my tank. In that position it is noiseless (I don't like the consistent waterfall sound --- Just Me !!!). In that position the sump can be safe if I maintain a 1/3 volume in the sump. The macro will have less room to grow now, it's normally about half to 2/3 full.

I will purchase and demo the BRS check valve.
Is there a benefit for having the hose attachment to the check valve?

I have a wave maker and no real power head so I suppose an APC is not reasonable ( Yeah Right? I buy for the tank before I get for Myself --- Can you say fanatic!!!)

I love projects so this will be my next during my downtime (Kids in College - So I got lots!!!)

Thanks again and as always you guys are the best resource around!!!!

Back