Apex AFS fell in the tank

kwajtrader

Market
Reaction score
Well, it happened, my brand new AFS which I just got all programmed up fell in the tank on the second day... If anyone want to know how to take it apart I can tell you how... Fortunately it just floated on top for a few seconds but salt water did get in the case, so I wanted to take it apart to soak the PC board in isopropal alcohol to displace any salt water. I'm assuming it'll be fine once I put it back together.

UGH....

Attachments

• IMG_5794.JPG
    IMG_5794.JPG
    796 KB · Views: 28
I haven't taken one apart yet but distilled water before alcohol is better. The water will pull away the sodium and any other minerals. Those are the things that cause the shorts on pcb's.

I have no idea of the validity of the concern - but - there is a person floating around some facebook groups claiming the Neptune AFS caught on fire and burned his house down.

Again - I have zero idea of the validity - but I did want to mention it since you have a unit that has gotten wet.

I had one that I used 2 times a year when we would go out of town for a week at a time. Last time we were leaving for vacation when I went to hook it up it refused to operate.

+1 I just read something on facebook that claimed the same thing... basically the AFS would occasionally get jammed and when it did it apparently burned itself out and the tank. That's not bueno.

That's just crazy. I would think so many things would melt and fry within the Apex base or module the AFS was connected to long before something caught fire.

If it really did happen the person obviously wasn't using a gfci.

That's just crazy. I would think so many things would melt and fry within the Apex base or module the AFS was connected to long before something caught fire.

If it really did happen the person obviously wasn't using a gfci.

If the AFS was the identified source I'm thinking there had to be a fair amount of negligence by the owner. But, if it is a potential source of a fire I'd want to know that before using one that I may have compromised.

I have no idea of the validity of the concern - but - there is a person floating around some facebook groups claiming the Neptune AFS caught on fire and burned his house down.

Again - I have zero idea of the validity - but I did want to mention it since you have a unit that has gotten wet.

I had one that I used 2 times a year when we would go out of town for a week at a time. Last time we were leaving for vacation when I went to hook it up it refused to operate.

Unfortunately that is true, he is friends of my buddys in California.. Total loss valued at ~$500k. The sad thing was, Neptune offered him 1/2 off a new system, what a punch in the gut that must have been. So you will see if he is not a champion of Neptune products, almost to the point its annoying, but I didn't lose my home from a fish feeder either.

No, the GFCI failed him, it was on one, it simply didn't pop until it was too late.

1 further point, Apex/Neptune does not UL list their EB8 or EB832, so make sure your policy covers non-UL listed "power strips", I have been running Neptune since 2003/2004 and never had an issue (just knocked on wood). I called my current gent and said I have a non-UL listed item in my home that is on 24/7/365 do you cover these items, and thankfully he said yes. ZERO commercial policies cover this, that is why it is VERY rare you would ever see an APEX system on in a shop ( you may see one on a small sample tank to show off the units, and usually are powered off/unplugged at night when nobody is in the shop), some use them, but even Neptune says they are not for commercial applications. Sorry for the unwanted or unasked for information lol.

Glad you were able to save it before it sank. I highly highly suggest you silicone before you reassemble the unit, it is VERY rare they will warranty one, they always have "water damage", Curt is a cheap mofo. I have spent many hours speaking with him, testing controllers in the early days. I still have emails from 2004 haha.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 6:41 PM
To: clp@neptuesys.com
Subject: Question about code.

Ok, back to work I go, I know I didn't contribute much to this thread other than unnecessary reading haha.

That’s troubling... on my side it’s back together and working fine. It’s now strapped in tight and going nowhere.

Back