apex code question

picoreefguy

Market
Reaction score
hey guys im setting up the ato function on my tank with an apex and a breakout box with a float switch on it. im using a tom aqualifter for the ato pump so its a fairly slow which means itll take about 18 minutes to pump 1 gallon of water at its specified flow rate of 3.5gph. so im guessing that my tank will evaporate less than a gallon a day but just in case of anything going wrong i dont want it to pump much more than that. so id like it to turn on 4 times a day and only if the float switch is in the low position which closes the circuit. i rounded up to 20 minutes of total run time over the day cause i figured 2 minutes wont make a huge difference when you're talking about 3.5gph. anyway i wanted to make sure the code i came up with is correct so let me know if you see something wrong with the code, or if there is a more simple way to do it

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
OSC 0:00/5:00/355:00 Then ON
If Sw6 open Then OFF

Looks perfect!

Only thing you could do to make it more safe is to add another float switch that is higher than your main water level switch that will shut off the fill when/if your main water level switch fails.

Hi Brijesh,

The code looks good and will allow the pump to run for 20 minute within 24 hours.

Here's a suggestion to pin point your daily evaporation:

For one week allow your pump to run 30 minutes a day. At the end of seven days run a chart to see how many minutes the ATO pump needs to run. Then you can reprogram.

Also, see this thread for some ideas:
showthread.php

Schwaggs;1081502 wrote: Looks perfect!

Only thing you could do to make it more safe is to add another float switch that is higher than your main water level switch that will shut off the fill when/if your main water level switch fails.

thats a great idea especially since i think i have an extra float switch laying around in my box of fish stuff. i just gotta dig around and find it.

elFloyd;1081503 wrote: Hi Brijesh,

The code looks good and will allow the pump to run for 20 minute within 24 hours.

Here's a suggestion to pin point your daily evaporation:

For one week allow your pump to run 30 minutes a day. At the end of seven days run a chart to see how many minutes the ATO pump needs to run. Then you can reprogram.

that would be good too but my thinking is that it would consume more as the weather gets hotter and so i would have to change it later and then it would consume less durring the winter so that would mean another change. while its not a hard thing to do its just one more thing lol. maybe i should just wait till the peak heat of the year and check my evap then and set it for just over that. then i id never have to change it

Schwaggs;1081505 wrote: Also, see this thread for some ideas: http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=48301">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=48301</a>[/QUOTE]

thanks. ill be refering to that thread some more tomorrow!

May be because I am in an all electric house but...my evaporation rate is higher in the winter.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

rdnelson99;1081516 wrote: May be because I am in an all electric house but...my evaporation rate is higher in the winter.

I have gas and my evaporation is significantly higher in the winter as well. I chalk it up to the heater being on and the air being less humid.

Yep..when heaters run they zap a ton of moisture from the air so evap should increase a good bit in winter, unless you run several humidifiers in your home like I do in the winter :)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

The other aspect to consider is if you are using evaporation to keep your tank cool. If you are, the amount of water evaporated will be higher.

I tried that when I first setup my tank and was evaporating 3-5 gallons a day! That water is added to the air in your home and needs to be removed by air exchange, dehumidifiers, air conditioning, etc. I didn't like that much water being added to my home's air so I added a chiller.

Just curious as to why you don't just have it top off when the switch is activated? It shouldn't run that long. Here's my code for ato

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Sw1 CLOSED Then ON
If Sw1 OPEN Then OFF
If Sw2 OPEN Then OFF
Defer 002:00 Then ON
Min Time 005:00 Then OFF
If pH &gt; 8.50 Then OFF

The ph is because I was running kalk in my water.

Defer doesn't turn it on unless it's been closed for 2 minutes and will run a max of 5 minutes then shut off for an hour I believe.

The other float is a high float for emergencies.

rdnelson99;1081516 wrote: May be because I am in an all electric house but...my evaporation rate is higher in the winter.

my house is all electric as well. ive just never kept track of how much it evaporates. i would just fill my resorvior once a week weather it was empty or not. now that i have an apex though i can keep up with it a little better and actually find out when it uses more.

Schwaggs;1081528 wrote: The other aspect to consider is if you are using evaporation to keep your tank cool. If you are, the amount of water evaporated will be higher.

I tried that when I first setup my tank and was evaporating 3-5 gallons a day! That water is added to the air in your home and needs to be removed by air exchange, dehumidifiers, air conditioning, etc. I didn't like that much water being added to my home's air so I added a chiller.

i havent had cool any of my tanks so far cause all the tanks up till this one were open top. but with this one having a canopy i might have to cool it and if so then evaporative cooling will be my first choice cause its the simplest option.

HiImSean;1081530 wrote: Just curious as to why you don't just have it top off when the switch is activated? It shouldn't run that long. Here's my code for ato

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Sw1 CLOSED Then ON
If Sw1 OPEN Then OFF
If Sw2 OPEN Then OFF
Defer 002:00 Then ON
Min Time 005:00 Then OFF
If pH &gt; 8.50 Then OFF

The ph is because I was running kalk in my water.

Defer doesn't turn it on unless it's been closed for 2 minutes and will run a max of 5 minutes then shut off for an hour I believe.

The other float is a high float for emergencies.

its just to have an extra layer of safety. even if i do put in a high level float switch ill still keep the time restrictions to prevent over filling cause i have laminate flooring and water will ruin it very quickly

Back