Apex - It's not all love

k3nnyp

Supporting
Reaction score
Still in my honeymoon phase but did want to post a negative I just heard ( literally ). I setup my DOS2 for AWC last night with the schedule starting today. I'm doing 2g / day spread across 6 intervals 2 hours apart. I was a little shocked at how loud it is when it kicked on for the first time. Sounds like I'll be rerouting it to the basement. Luckily I have that option. Another option I'll look into is the variable speed of the pumps. I noticed when my interval kicked off that it was pumping much faster than when I ran it manually and/or was doing the calibration. I have it set to pump 1260ml in a 30 min window. That turned into 4 x 420ml continuous runs. I'm curious if I increase the window if it will pump slower and possibly quieter.

There are settings in advanced to set the pump speed, lowering the speed will increase the duration though. There are some good write ups on R2R and Neptune's forums for the programming of AWC's.
You'll also want to put a line of code in there to turn off your ATO while the WC is being processed, you don't want it kicking on when the pump starts pulling water.

Changed from the 6 x 30 minute intervals to a single 24 hour window. Rate dropped from 250ml/min to 25ml/min. I'm waiting to see when it kicks on and what the noise level is.

Just kicked off. Much quieter now. Still pretty noisy but I have it partially mounted to a wall while sitting on a shelf with no padding. Definitely much noisier than anything else in my tank. I suspect I'll end up moving it to the basement anyway since that's where the water is anyway. The DOS is currently in the guest bedroom on the other side of my DT. I can hear it clearly on this side of the wall ( family room ). I'm sure my guests would not want to hear that kick off throughout the night.

Ran through the Wizard. It built the same schedule other than it reversed my remove pump. I changed it back. I prefer the flow following the arrows on the pumps. :)

Yes, it will add the correct offset to the timing for the pump heads. You don't want the pulling and adding to happen at the same time. Having only one head running at a time will also reduce the noise the unit is making.

You can add the offset manually by changing the start time of the one that adds the water back but you need to know how long it takes the removal pump to complete.
So, for example, in the 24hr schedule the removal pump is set to start at 00:00 and it takes 4:30 minutes to complete you'd set the start time for the replacement pump to 04:45. This adds the time gap for the 2nd head.

The other option is to have them both run at the same time and remove water from the sump chamber with your drain line and add the water back to the return chamber of the sump. this will ensure it's as close to a 100% even exchange as possible without having to alternate the pump heads.

I don't see a staggering of pump intervals, it just created a single 24hr interval on both pumps, essentially what I had setup originally. The Saltmix and my ATO both dump in the chamber of my return pump. My waste line for the AWC is earlier in the sump so probably the furthest away from each other in the flow as I can get.

Last time I ran through the task (wizard) to configure AWC using DOS it set both pumps to run at the same time. I did the same - pulled waste from first chamber of sump - added fresh to last chamber of sump.

I only did it for a few weeks as I just don't have enough room to keep large enough vessels in my sump area.

Hmm, I was mistaken, I thought it would have put in a stagger.

If you do it that way it will cut the noise level by half.

I had one a while back. I was also disappointed in the sound.

I have a Kamoer connected to my CARX and I think it makes more noise than the DOS does. Its running at 55ml/m.

Is there anything at this price point that is quiet?

Probably not. I'm not really bothered by it since I already have a USB extension cable and plenty of room in the basement. It seems like it is very well designed and a solid build. I was just ignorant toward the amount of noise to expect. I do need to make sure when I mount it in the basement that it's got plenty of padding to eliminate the vibration from traveling up the walls.

Back