Apex program questions

saltwaterwannabe

Market
Reaction score
I am trying to create different day and night flow patterns using my Koralias and Apex programming and have not found a solution online. I am having a challenge with two different osc statements for the same pumphead. I have tried min, defer, osc, combinations of virtual outlets, and setting up profiles. It would seem that profiles would make the most sense but they only operate the variable outlet, which is of no use to me since the Koralias are AC and plug into power outlets.

Thoughts:
1) can I use profiles for the regular EB8 outlets?
2) can I buy an adapter to plug my Koralias into the variable outlets and set min intensity to 100%
3) is there a way to use virtual outlets or other programming to achieve day and night pumphead settings
4) is there a separate inexpensive Apex unit that would serve this purpose?

Any help would be appreciated.

1. Yes
2. Don't know
3. Possible
4. No

Are you trying to pulse the Koralias and set the pulse rate differently for day and night?

Dan do they currently have a controller that allows adjustable flow? If so its possible. I had the original Jaebo wp25s and was able to wire up a harness that allowed v1/2 port connections. Then I could control my Jaebos through my Apex and setup virtual outlets to do what your trying to accomplish. Otherwise your better off buying the Jaebo powerheads and buying the Apex connector. That would be your cheapest option.

anit77;1114274 wrote: 1. Yes
2. Don't know
3. Possible
4. No

Are you trying to pulse the Koralias and set the pulse rate differently for day and night?
I was not able to make the profiles command the main EB outlets. I tried setting up 4 profiles, 2 night and 2 day for each powerhead. The programs uploaded fine but the outlets remained in the Set condition. How do I make the outlets run on profiles?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The virtual outlets will only work with v1/v2 ports. There are some exceptions like the new link connection.

Bcavalli;1114285 wrote: Dan do they currently have a controller that allows adjustable flow? If so its possible. I had the original Jaebo wp25s and was able to wire up a harness that allowed v1/2 port connections. Then I could control my Jaebos through my Apex and setup virtual outlets to do what your trying to accomplish. Otherwise your better off buying the Jaebo powerheads and buying the Apex connector. That would be your cheapest option.
I am looking to change the osc statements for day and night.

That is my mid term plan. During the setup, stocking, etc I depleted my hobby funds and need a couple of months to regrow it. I have other equipment and stock that take priority over day/night flow settings. Great information and I will look for more info on the harness. Hopefully I can come up with a solution to bridge the gap.

You can only turn an EB outlet on or off. You cannot control speeds with them. Hydor does make a controller but it is pretty basic and nothing that turning an outlet on or off will help you with.

To have a more complex pattern you'll need something Apex compatible and unfortunately it's not going to come from Hydor. Which means it's going to cost more money than their line.

Neptune WAV, EcoTech, Tunze, Icecap and possibly Jebao are going to be your main options.

1: No - they are only for variable voltage ports and specially integrated modules like Vortex and Radion.
2: You can turn them on and off but I do not think you can control their speed.
3: Please expand on what you mean? Are you trying to turn them on and off at differnet intervals based on time of day or is this tied to #2 above and want to vary the speed based on time of day?
4: not sure, depends on your answer to #2

Schwaggs;1114304 wrote: 1: No - they are only for variable voltage ports and specially integrated modules like Vortex and Radion.
2: You can turn them on and off but I do not think you can control their speed.
3: Please expand on what you mean? Are you trying to turn them on and off at differnet intervals based on time of day or is this tied to #2 above and want to vary the speed based on time of day?
4: not sure, depends on your answer to #2
I do not wish to vary the speed, the pumps I am using only ha e one speed. Someday I will add variable speed pumps, but not for at least a few months. All I want is to rin day and night profiles.

I tried creating a Daytime and Nighttime profile with different OSC statements. I may quote the programming a lite off, but the core of it looked like the following:

Profiles:

Daytime
Osc 0:30/0:40/0:20 then on

Nighttime
Osc 0:30/0:20/0:40 then on

Outlet:

RtPump_7_2
If time 8:00 to 21:59 then Daytime
If time 22:00 to 7:59 then Nightime

I also tried a virtual outlet to act as a switch. Nothing I did would allow the standard EB8 outlet for my Rt_Pump_7_2 to recognize a profile existed, resulting in the original set statement to leave the pump on.

SaltWaterWannabe;1114313 wrote: I do not wish to vary the speed, the pumps I am using only ha e one speed. Someday I will add variable speed pumps, but not for at least a few months. All I want is to rin day and night profiles.

I tried creating a Daytime and Nighttime profile with different OSC statements. I may quote the programming a lite off, but the core of it looked like the following:

Profiles:

Daytime
Osc 0:30/0:40/0:20 then on

Nighttime
Osc 0:30/0:20/0:40 then on

Outlet:

RtPump_7_2
If time 8:00 to 21:59 then Daytime
If time 22:00 to 7:59 then Nightime

I also tried a virtual outlet to act as a switch. Nothing I did would allow the standard EB8 outlet for my Rt_Pump_7_2 to recognize a profile existed, resulting in the original set statement to leave the pump on.

I was quoting from memory below, which must not be that great

There is not an advanced option so I am using the Pump selection in the profiles, which I was trying to force by stating min intensity is 100. I just realized I may need to use the variable outlets as the switch. I will try iy tonight if I do not hear otherwise

The good news you only want different on and off times based on time of day, the bad news is you cannot use profiles to implement it. Basic EB8 outlets cannot be assigned profiles.

One way to implement this is below:

V_Day
Osc 0:30/0:40/0:20 then ON
If time 22:00 to 8:00 then OFF

V_Night
Osc 0:30/0:20/0:40 then ON
If time 8:00 to 22:00 then OFF

RtPump_7_2
Set Off
If V_Day ON then ON
If V_Night ON then ON

Schwaggs;1114337 wrote: The good news you only want different on and off times based on time of day, the bad news is you cannot use profiles to implement it. Basic EB8 outlets cannot be assigned profiles.

One way to implement this is below:

V_Day
Osc 0:30/0:40/0:20 then ON
If time 22:00 to 8:00 then OFF

V_Night
Osc 0:30/0:20/0:40 then ON
If time 8:00 to 22:00 then OFF

RtPump_7_2
Set Off
If V_Day ON then ON
If V_Night ON then ON

I tried something that I thought looked likenthat in one of my first attempts that but was using virtual outlets for Daytime and NightTime instead. As it turns out, my NightTime statement said

NightTime
if outlet Daytime = off then off

Which is obviously incorrect since it would never be NightTime....lol. I think I had another issue since testing never worked, but I had deleted the programs. I tried it again with the corrected statement and voila, success! A simple copy and past error strikes again. Thanks for posting this to make me try this method again.

Below is my current setup for pumpheads.

Daytime
Fallback ON
If Time 07:00 to 19:00 Then ON
If Time 19:01 to 06:59 Then OFF

Nighttime
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Outlet Daytime = OFF Then ON

LtPumpDay
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
OSC 000:00/000:40/000:20 Then ON
If Outlet Daytime = OFF Then OFF

LtPumpNite
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
OSC 000:00/000:20/000:40 Then ON
If Outlet Nighttime = OFF Then OFF

RtPumpDay
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
OSC 000:30/000:40/000:20 Then ON
If Outlet Daytime = OFF Then OFF

RtPumpNite
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
OSC 000:30/000:20/000:40 Then ON
If Outlet Nighttime = OFF Then OFF

RtPumpHd_7_2
Set OFF
Fallback ON
If Outlet RtPumpDay = ON Then ON
If Outlet RtPumpNite = ON Then ON
If FeedA 002 Then OFF
If FeedB 030 Then OFF
If Outlet Flush_Timer = ON Then ON

LtPumpHd_7_3
Set OFF
Fallback ON
If Outlet LtPumpDay = ON Then ON
If Outlet LtPumpNite = ON Then ON
If FeedA 002 Then OFF
If FeedB 030 Then OFF
If Outlet Flush_Timer = ON Then ON

Here's a thread on Neptune about this.

http://forum.neptunesystems.com/showthread.php?t=1265">http://forum.neptunesystems.com/showthread.php?t=1265</a>

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

anit77;1114340 wrote: Here's a thread on Neptune about this.

http://forum.neptunesystems.com/showthread.php?t=1265">http://forum.neptunesystems.com/showthread.php?t=1265</a>

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

The Koralias seem to be operating as desired. I still plan to replace them but can focus on other equipment and livestock for a while. Thanks for the help!

Just watch how many times a day you cycle them, keep them on and off for more than 2 seconds and if they work on outlets 1-3 or 5-7 keep them there. The mechanical relays in 4 & 8 wear out faster.

anit77;1114357 wrote: Just watch how many times a day you cycle them, keep them on and off for more than 2 seconds and if they work on outlets 1-3 or 5-7 keep them there. The mechanical relays in 4 & 8 wear out faster.

I have them on 2 and 3 by sheer luck. Thanks for the advice.

Well, pumphead replacement is around the corner and is the next big thing for the tank. I am on the fence for 3 types...MP40QD, WAV, and Jebao. I am using these with my APEX in a 30 inch tall 90 gallon bowfront that has a lot of rock with hopes of a lot more mixed coral in time. I have read that the MP40QD's are awesome, but also that the WAV's would serve well on the back wall of the tank with a narrow tank like mine. Jebao is the least expensive option and is certainly not out of contention, but I am looking for something that will be easy to program and am a bit concerned that I would not order the right conversion unit for my APEX. Thus far WAV's sound like a good mix, but as stated, I am on the fence. I am sure many members have strong opinions on the matter and I would love to hear them.

Back