Apex question

Dmac

Market
Reaction score
I've gotten the impression that Apex is the best thing since sliced bread. I'm back and forth about getting one for basic monitoring since I have most of my automation set up through my alexa for now. One thing that has concerned me is that I see quite a few of them going up for sale in the club and I'm curious why that is. I'm especially curious for those that have been in use for a year or less. There aren't many controller options so what is making people get rid of them?

Well, the apex can integrate with Alexa. If you want basic monitoring like temperature the Hydros Control 2 or 4 are inexpensive new options. But the Apex combined with fusion is still the best long term option IMO. You see used gear for sale all the time. Some are leaving the hobby, some are building new tanks and want to start with fresh gear. If I'm investing in a new set up I don't want a 4-year-old controller to be a problem. Electronics don't last forever, specifically the power sections. And relays have a finite number of operations (usually around 100k). So it is very reasonable to replace the energy bars every 3-4 years. When my first tank reached six years old something started failing about every month or so. An apex is worth it IMO.

I find that the APEX by itself is a reasonable value compared to other premium monitoring systems. Coralvue Hydros might end up being a value competitor, but as someone who has used both...Apex is still slightly better and offers a better experience IMO. Definitely shows promise if they keep improving and adding options.

I would say if I were to give up my Apex it would be due to the escalation of costs that tend to come with having an APEX environment. The APEX itself is nifty, albeit $$$. I mean with a lot more effort and patching together a half dozen products you could probably accomplish what the APEX does at a fraction of the cost. However, APEX really is a seamless experience that has you up and running in minutes all under one interface. I think it is worth it, especially with the EL versions lowered entry price.

But...the true value of the APEX is all the stuff you can eventually do with it. Water testing, dosing, lunar cycles, fluid controls, etc. etc. Once you get the base unit set up you find yourself wanting to do more, and each of those additional features is very expensive because just about nothing APEX sells is under $100. A $600 Trident here, a $200 ATO kit there (even though you already had one but wanted an APEX ready one so you could integrate better...silly you). If this syndrome doesn't take you, I think in addition to selling to upgrade or get out of the hobby, there are some people that come to realize after a while that they are really only using it to control the temperature and a few probes. You don't need an expensive controller to do that...so they cash out because APEX gear retains value remarkably well. This is especially true as more lights, powerheads, and other equipment come with their own purpose-built control software eliminating some of the need for a robust controller.

I find that the APEX by itself is a reasonable value compared to other premium monitoring systems. Coralvue Hydros might end up being a value competitor, but as someone who has used both...Apex is still slightly better and offers a better experience IMO. Definitely shows promise if they keep improving and adding options.

I would say if I were to give up my Apex it would be due to the escalation of costs that tend to come with having an APEX environment. The APEX itself is nifty, albeit $$$. I mean with a lot more effort and patching together a half dozen products you could probably accomplish what the APEX does at a fraction of the cost. However, APEX really is a seamless experience that has you up and running in minutes all under one interface. I think it is worth it, especially with the EL versions lowered entry price.

But...the true value of the APEX is all the stuff you can eventually do with it. Water testing, dosing, lunar cycles, fluid controls, etc. etc. Once you get the base unit set up you find yourself wanting to do more, and each of those additional features is very expensive because just about nothing APEX sells is under $100. A $600 Trident here, a $200 ATO kit there (even though you already had one but wanted an APEX ready one so you could integrate better...silly you). If this syndrome doesn't take you, I think in addition to selling to upgrade or get out of the hobby, there are some people that come to realize after a while that they are really only using it to control the temperature and a few probes. You don't need an expensive controller to do that...so they cash out because APEX gear retains value remarkably well. This is especially true as more lights, powerheads, and other equipment come with their own purpose-built control software eliminating some of the need for a robust controller.
Thank you for the honest and detailed response. Honestly, I think it was enough to make me realize that Apex might not be for me. I realize this hobby is expensive already but I try balance the cost of certain purchases verses what I will gain. I also try to keep my setup as simple as possible. I really only want remote salinity and temperature monitoring. I think the most important point you made was the continued and increased cost of the apex over time. Guess I'll keep my eyes peeled for other options down the road. Thanks

Glad it was helpful. IMO, its all about finding the right tool for the right job for the right price.

For temperature, I would go with Two Heaters, each half of what you need so that if one sticks on it isn't enough to immediately cook your tank and if one breaks it isn't a total heating loss. For primary control and first line of failure defense hook it into an inkbird. Then hook your inkbird into one of those $50 temperature sensor outlets set a degree or two higher than your max on your inkbird. That way if your inkbird fails the wifi outlet with temp sensor will send you an alert and shut off the outlet. Less than $100-120 and you have two (three if you include heater redundancy/splitting) layers of temperature control/fail safe. That's more safety and control than the APEX gives you for much less.

Salinity monitoring is hit and miss. Even APEX's salinity monitoring is much-maligned if you look it up. A lot of complaints of them drifting or not lasting very long. There are some stand alone salinity probes out there for $100-150 bucks. But to be honest, I would just forego it. Its so quick every few weeks or water change to drag out the refractometer and verify salinity. If your system is setup right it really shouldn't drift that much over time. I might go from 35 to 34 PPT over the course of 2-3 months if I am not careful. Besides, the probe doesn't prevent your salinity from changing, it only shortens the amount of time until you find out. It likely will happen anyway...and when you do most people will confirm with a manual test. You do a manual test no matter what you do so why waste the money on a probe.

Side note those wifi outlets with the temp and level sensors are excellent for targeted APEX-like functionality.

Glad it was helpful. IMO, its all about finding the right tool for the right job for the right price.

For temperature, I would go with Two Heaters, each half of what you need so that if one sticks on it isn't enough to immediately cook your tank and if one breaks it isn't a total heating loss. For primary control and first line of failure defense hook it into an inkbird. Then hook your inkbird into one of those $50 temperature sensor outlets set a degree or two higher than your max on your inkbird. That way if your inkbird fails the wifi outlet with temp sensor will send you an alert and shut off the outlet. Less than $100-120 and you have two (three if you include heater redundancy/splitting) layers of temperature control/fail safe. That's more safety and control than the APEX gives you for much less.

Salinity monitoring is hit and miss. Even APEX's salinity monitoring is much-maligned if you look it up. A lot of complaints of them drifting or not lasting very long. There are some stand alone salinity probes out there for $100-150 bucks. But to be honest, I would just forego it. Its so quick every few weeks or water change to drag out the refractometer and verify salinity. If your system is setup right it really shouldn't drift that much over time. I might go from 35 to 34 PPT over the course of 2-3 months if I am not careful. Besides, the probe doesn't prevent your salinity from changing, it only shortens the amount of time until you find out. It likely will happen anyway...and when you do most people will confirm with a manual test. You do a manual test no matter what you do so why waste the money on a probe.

Side note those wifi outlets with the temp and level sensors are excellent for targeted APEX-like functionality.
I have an ink bird already but I never even knew about the temperature controlled outlets. I'll put that on my shopping list, LOL. When all this Corona stuff is over I owe you lunch for saving me $800

Btw, is there a specific model you recommend for that temperature sensor?

No problem! Though I take no credit for saving you money. It's all about choices. The Apex and other controllers really are great and you would enjoy having one. But it's all relative to how much money and time you have as well as opportunities to use those funds elsewhere. I could buy a Ferrari to get to work every day, but I would rather own a used SUV, get there in less style, AND have a nice house and money to waste on reef stuff.

Below is what I was talking about. They make one that has a level sensor instead as well. I think Amazon sells them as well.

Back