Apex system good bad

william1

Market
Reaction score
So who is running an apex system on there tank and how do you like it before I jump into $900?
What’s the main reason you purchased and what are you running?

I’ve ran a reef keeper in the past so I’m looking at these new systems like crap they changed.

I like mine for the most part. Mainly looking for stability in what I have readings on. Ph, ORP, temp and salinity with the basic apex controller. I also run the trident, this one can be finicky though. I still have Hanna to verify Calcium mostly. The calcium for me even after calibrating never seems accurate. I was at 440 and changed reagents and found myself low 400’s, Hanna verified what I thought I had the past 2 months was wrong. Still now I’m reading 415 and I’m actually down at 390. Working on bringing it back up slow with the dos. Magnesium and alk seem ok and accurate. Also have the dos and those seem to work good. Have the dos reservoir which has a sensor and shows when it’s low and also the auto feeder for when I’m on vacation. It’s nice setting up auto feeder and to turn the return pump and skimmer off for set periods of time during feedings. Also nice to be able to put a light on the power bar EB832 or whatever it’s called and have the ability to turn it on while away to view to sump with a camera. I’m probably considered a novice with apex and probably a lot more can be done with it.

Ok becuase I really wanna have some good control over things. Be able to run multiple components

Apex gets the job done, I use it for the same reasons ph, orp, temp. Basically an extra failsafe. You can find one used for around $500-$600. I'm by no way biased towards the apex, it's just what I got because I ran across a good deal. @dball711 has a Hydros and likes it. GHL users seem to like theirs once they figure it out. Some people run ReefPi but it's quite a learning curve from the looks of research...for me at least.

Apex system good!

Ive been running them since they came out(up until this setup all purchased used) 80% of its use is a glorified timer, 10% is temp/ph controlled outlets and the rest are bells and whistles. Timers are used for mix pumps, lights, dosing pumps and so on. Temp is good for heater/chiller/fan control, turning off lights when it gets to hot or sending you a text if something goes crazy. PH is good for overall monitoring, calc reactors. I will also be running the FMM system for flow monitoring, level sensors and leak detection. And the DOS for auto water changes and the salinity probe to monitor it.

It has lots of other add on items, but overall its a good system. You can do everything the Apex can do with other products, but I know this system and its worked great for me.

+1 on mostly being a multi-channel timer, but that is exactly what delivers the consistency required for good results. Just set it up to mimic nature.

Bottom line: it’s not perfect, there are others, & they all compare themselves to the Apex.

for me it's more than a fancy timer but rather an integrated system.

for example during water change, if you turn off the return pump, you can add another logic that turns of wavemaker, heater, and ATO. this bypass many hassle of remember what needs to be turned on/off during your specific task.

i also have 2x Trident for my display tank and frag tank. although Trident really isn't needed for the frag tank, but the ability to know the ball-park parameter of my tanks at any time is worth the price tag and the refill reagents. i have not had any issue with Trident and the readings are usually within 10% when compared to my other digital Hanna checkers.

for my display tank, i have the Apex Wifi with 3x EB832, FMM, ATK, LDK, Trident, and some other apex add-ons. For my frag tank, i have the Apex Wifi and EB832, DOS, Trident, and some add-ons.

Last edited:
Best thing I ever did for my tank.

Stability = Growth
Alarms = less worries
dosing/measurements = More time with the family

Also, sometimes I go out of town for weeks at a time and have less worries while I'm gone.

knock on wood, never any issues with it. I have the Apex, Trident, 2 DOS's, EB8, EB832, and the Simplicity tank for Alk, Ca, and Mg.

I’ve always had an Apex on my tank. I traveled a lot for work so it gave me peace of mind while I was gone. I don’t think I’d run a reef without one.

I agree with most above. Good product. Here a few challenges I’ve seen/experienced.

Energy Bar 832 - there seem to be a good deal of issues with these items. Lots of repairs. I have 3 but all have worked without issue.
Trident - I had to send mine in for repairs. Luckily they did not charge me.
Salinity probe - same problem as prior apex classic/ pm2. Calibration and consistency is still very rough
Head units - seem to be a bit more durable than the classic.
TopOff - I’ve had 3 different ones. They are problematic. I went back to Tunze
Cor20 - seems to be a good workhorse. I dumbed it down as I was getting alarms regularly but performs well.
Leak detection. - I like these. They work well.

Overall a good product that provide peace of mind when I’m traveling or even working. I do believe they could put a few more dollars into the development and component sourcing and make these a bit more durable. They know we are using them in saltwater conditions.
Gary

Thanks every for the input I will research a couple listed here and see what will work best for me.

Hydros has been good to me. Very well made, does all the basics I need. Have an x4 and an xP8.

Hydros has been good to me. Very well made, does all the basics I need. Have an x4 and an xP8.
Do you like the XP8? I had the x4 and the power strip but don’t know if the $280 price tag is worth it

Do you like the XP8? I had the x4 and the power strip but don’t know if the $280 price tag is worth it
I do. It is basically a smart power strip, but I like (1) well built, (2) wired (not wireless) and (3) the whole hydros system is nice.

Thank you everyone for all the replies. I’ve decided to go with Profilux seems to be what I’m looking for.

Back