Apex VDM Module

lilrobb

Market
Reaction score
I am not 100% sure what this is good for.
Aren't there variable speed ports on the base unit already?

So all the VDM does is extend the number of ports?

Any insight would be appreciated

I believe it communicates directly with Vortech pumps so that you can build their responses directly into the Apex programming. I'm just now getting into the ApexLite system having just installed mine last week so I'm still in the learning mode.

kilo32;675212 wrote: I believe it communicates directly with Vortech pumps so that you can build their responses directly into the Apex programming. I'm just now getting into the ApexLite system having just installed mine last week so I'm still in the learning mode.

Never mind...I was thinking of the WMX module which is for the Vortech pumps. See...I told you I was new at this.

I thought it was made to use with the AI LED systems? Or can the regular variable speed ports work with them? I have an Apex Jr So I'll have to get the VDM to program my lights.

RedStang;675217 wrote: I thought it was made to use with the AI LED systems? Or can the regular variable speed ports work with them? I have an Apex Jr So I'll have to get the VDM to program my lights.
Pretty much my question, what does the VDM do that the ports cannot do..

Well, I can tell you that my lights plug into an EB8, but the serial style cable to control them plugs into the vdm. That's all the insight I have, but it is needed to use with AI lights.

I thought the VDM module was for those that bought the lite unit? I think the base unit in the full blown apex has you covered.

I use the VDM with the AI Sol Blue. As I understand, it's the only way to control each color LED (white, blue, royal blue) in the puck individually. Well, you could use the AI controller too but it won't talk to your Apex.

Understood, but the Apex base itself has 3 separate channels too -why did you buy the VDM?

I don't thank the base unit has a rs232 port that the ai led cable needs.
The vdm adds that and 4 more 1-10v ports

The Variable Speed/Dimming module (shown above) allows for the control of the Aqua Illuminations LED lighting systems as well as adding an additional 4 0-10V variable speed ports.:

•Independent control of the white and blue Aqua Illumination LEDs.
•Simulate Sunrise/Sunset, Lunar Cycle, Clouds, and Lightning with the Aqua Illumination LEDs.
•Adds 4 independent 0-10V variable speed ports to the Apex system.
•Plug and Play. Automatically recognized when installed into the system.
•Pumps can be dynamically added/removed from the system.
•Two AquaBus connectors for flexible expansion via AquaBus.
•Comes with 3' AquaBus cable.
•Fully upgradeable.
•Led Status indicator.
•Compatible with Apex and Apex Lite systems.

davisju1;675260 wrote: I don't thank the base unit has a rs232 port that the ai led cable needs.
The vdm adds that and 4 more 1-10v ports

The Variable Speed/Dimming module (shown above) allows for the control of the Aqua Illuminations LED lighting systems as well as adding an additional 4 0-10V variable speed ports.:

•Independent control of the white and blue Aqua Illumination LEDs.
•Simulate Sunrise/Sunset, Lunar Cycle, Clouds, and Lightning with the Aqua Illumination LEDs.
•Adds 4 independent 0-10V variable speed ports to the Apex system.
•Plug and Play. Automatically recognized when installed into the system.
•Pumps can be dynamically added/removed from the system.
•Two AquaBus connectors for flexible expansion via AquaBus.
•Comes with 3' AquaBus cable.
•Fully upgradeable.
•Led Status indicator.
•Compatible with Apex and Apex Lite systems.

Yes, this.

As the others have said, the VDM has a serial port to control AI LEDs and 4 0-10V ports. This can be useful for regular Apex users that need more than 4 variable speed ports (to control more than 4 Tunze pumps for example) or for Apex Lite or Apex Jr users that do not have any variable speed ports out-of-the-box.

So if all I need is 3 variable ports, my base unit will be just as good as the VDM, correct?

Yep, as long as you have the regular Apex base module (not the lite) you are good to go...

Thanks,
Now on to having someone build me my "dream machine"...

Back