Apex

nolan71416

Market
Reaction score
So I'm looking to see exactly what parts I need to get the minimal amount of parts up front. I run a return pump, skimmer, powerhead, (2x T-5 36", Moonlights and 2x metal halide lights (all have separate power plugs)), 4' T-5 2Lamp fixture and a 24-30" LED light with BRGW's. I know very little about these systems but I know they are worth it but I'm so tight on money I can't buy new and/or a complete system.

Thanks,

Davis Loggins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Main benefit of the Apex (or any controller) is going to be centralized control . Apex comes with 4 or 8 outlet bars to connect your equipment.. they are also expandable and you can add more. You listed over 8 plugs above. If you wanted to control all components with Apex you would at least need an EB8 plug. The other benefits of temp/pH/salinity/ORP/etc that can be monitored via probes is a plus as well. Programming and associating equipment is also nice; feed modes, fail over, ATO setup, reactors, etc.
Long term a good investment (but not a must have to be successful) keep an eye out for lightly used systems. I love my Apex.

What part does the programming. Is that the eb8 plug that you program?

No. The EB8 is just a power strip. You need the main module/brain for programming.

Last thing then. Is there a big difference in the apex jr over the other models.

I agree with Jose I finally decided to upgrade to my apex and I should have done it long ago. I started out with another controller (cheaper one) to control outlets only, end result was I just wasted a few hundred dollars. The main difference in the JR and regular is the JR starts out with 4 outlets instead of 8 and you can only have 5 modules if I remember correctly. Each module (box) you connect takes one of those spots so in an example if you had a JR with another power bar and the module to test ph and salinity you would have 12 outlets but you could only add one more module (like moonlights). If you get the standard or the new wifi one you can have 240 modules. It seems like a lot but say you have a display tank and a frag tank and one day you go crazy and buy another tank just because you can run all of these on one apex with separate power bars and modules.

The wifi one has built in wifi, salinity monitoring, 1-link controls and 0-10v are all integrated. If you plan on monitoring salinity its about the same cost to start with the big one, all the other ports are just a bonus.

If you can afford it, start off with the full version. But I know you're trying not to spend too much, so Then the jr might be your best option. The price difference is pretty big $200ish vs $400ish. The reefkeper is another controller that is a bit cheaper but not as user friendly (think droid vs iPhone).

Ok so I got a Apex Jr and would love to find another EB-4 or EB-8 someone isn't using right now. I'm not in a huge hurry and can't spend much but just testing the waters to see what's out there. Very surprised at how easy it setup and works. Got my lights on 2 plus and fans on a power strip to run them both and my heater on the last one right now. 1 EB-4 would be fine but a EB-8 for the right price would be amazing. I don't have much I could trade but if that's something you might do send me a message and might work out. Thanks and Happy Reefing

Back