API test for dKH

shromy

Market
Reaction score
anyone willing to send me a copy of the directions for the test, droped my booklet in the tank, pages are stuck together and is destroying it when i try to pull apart. any help would be greatly appreiated.

Fill a vial with 5 ml of test water. Add 1 drop of the solution. Stir or shake the water. Water will turn blue. Add 1 drop at a time and shake between drops. When the water turns yellow, count the number of drops and that is your dKH.

Thanks,
Tim

Thank you Tim, i was thinking that about what is was. Well now i guess i have an excuse to come spend some money with you(when i print some more lol), to thank you in person, that and all the wonderful things i've heard about your store.
Steve

also what would you recommend to raise it if needed a more natural what(i try not to add chemicals unless i have to).

and yes barb its the same thing but Tim beat ya to it, Thank you though.
Steve

Well...... AS far as I know there is no really 'natural' way to raise it other than good components of an established system. i.e good substrate, etc.

A buffer of some sort is very commonly used and safe for an aquarium. I wouldnt hesitate to use one if needed to keep parameters in check.

if i remember correctly its to be around 8-12 im testing at 7, so its probley where it needs to be with the test being a bit off cause of normal reasons.

Thanks for the info Chris, i wasnt sure since i havent ever had a problem with it in this tank.

shromy;228217 wrote: also what would you recommend to raise it if needed a more natural what(i try not to add chemicals unless i have to).

Aragonite Sand will help stabilize the buffering capacity of the water. However small doses of:

Soda Ash(Baked Baking Soda) - raises pH and ALK
Sodium Bicarbonate(Baking Soda) - Lowers pH and raises ALK

I use these in my systems along with Calcium Chloride and Magnesium Sulfate & Chloride. These are all the chemicals I add on a regular basis.

Every once and a while I will dose Iodine.

Thanks,
Tim

I have read alot about making the baked soda ash, but how much would you add to a gallon of rodi water. most info i find is in ltr not gallons. sorry im to lazy to do the math, if im to lazy for ya im sorry just figured id ask.

shromy;228249 wrote: I have read alot about making the baked soda ash, but how much would you add to a gallon of rodi water. most info i find is in ltr not gallons. sorry im to lazy to do the math, if im to lazy for ya im sorry just figured id ask.

I would just purchase Soda Ash instead of Baking it myself. I am to lazy for that. Well, not lazy as much as I don't have freaking time! :)

From Bulk Reef Supplies' web site:

Alkalinity
<ol>
<li>Fill one of the gallon jugs ¾ to 4/5th with RO/DI water. This will make shaking and dissolving the solution much easier.</li>
<li>Measure out two level cups of "Soda Ash." Add 1/2 to the jug, cap and shake vigorously.</li>
<li>Repeat "Step 2" with the remaining Soda Ash.</li>
<li>Fill the remainder of the jug with water, cap and label "Alkalinity."</li>
</ol>Thanks,
Tim

thank you every much tim, you have been very helpful. wish i didnt live so far away from you guys so i could come out more. i live right next to SWC, Sal and Dave have been great people to deal with. but i will make it to yours someday soon i promise, i always make a trip to the LFS when im in that area. I just keep hearing to many good things about you guys.

Here's a link that has API color charts and instructions. Go to the bottom of the page on this link and you'll see dkh and all others. Good Luck!!

a>

Back