Appropriate pump ?

Anthony king

Supporting
Reaction score
Hi so one of the tanks that i deal with external pump is making some noise (more than usual) ,and am just trying to be proactive and switch it out before it fails my question is what external pump would be an appropriate replacement for a 600 gallon tank? It's about 8' tall so gotta have some good flow so i don't lose any head pressure I'll attach a pic of the old pump. Just trying to see what my options are thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 20190709_165518.jpg
    20190709_165518.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 34
Mine was making noise one day and I took it offline and removed the front to find a small snail and a rock had gotten sucked up causing it to be off balance, it was back online and silent in 15 minutes. Panworld pumps are beasts, there is probably something similar going on with yours.

(I'm really glad i proof read this, it would have been bad. Lol)

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

The front is held on by six 10mm nuts, just close your valves off and have a look, you might just find that need a new impeller which would still be better than a new pump.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Appreciate it didn't think it would be that simple to diagnose. Im not as familiar with external pumps ,but the snail or rock cloging would make sense since ive found a couple snails in the last chamber the last 2 times ive been there. I cant imagine how they make it past all the baffles and and filter socks. Much appreciated @bhodges82 @Steve Burton

Bought the L1 from Atlanta aquarium today and the backup battery didnt realize i needed a booster for it anybody know where i can find one locally ?

Haha... the snail issue has happened to me too.

As for what pump size info:
  • 600g tank
  • 8’ of head pressure
  • What is the length of tubing from the pump to the tank?
  • Does the return piping have any splits; if so, how many?

That looks like a pretty small pump & plumbing for a 600 gallon tank. How much turnover is the tank getting now and is it healthy & happy?

If the guy wants a quieter pump I've heard nothing but good things about Iwaki. They're fairly expensive but not crazy priced.

Iwaki.PNG

For this application and the longevity of it I’d only use external pump, like some others have said, Panworld, Iwaki or Reeflow, being this last one my option when I was pretending to run my former 120g.
Recent models of internal pumps haven’t pass the longevity that you’d get compared with some of this external ones (based on my search) or at least I haven’t heard from one person who has them running for a while with no issues.

The connections were all glued on and reduced to 3/4. The pump wasn't super strong, but its a fowlr tank and all the fish are happy. His main concern was the noise i went with the vectra l1 seemed to flow better and much quieter

Attachments

• 20190725_164309.jpg
    20190725_164309.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
Back