Aptasia/Mojano Laser

Shawn

Market
Reaction score
Anyone use one before? Thoughts on the best one? Anyone have one I can borrow? :D

As someone that spent years safely working with class IV lasers, please wear the appropriate wavelength safety eyewear.

Be aware of potential risk to pets & neighbors also. Thanks!
I only use it with the glasses on and no one else around, people or fur people.

The laser I've got is no joke. I learned real quick which angles were a no no when I smelled hair burning and realized it was my beard from the reflection.

The laser I've got is no joke. I learned real quick which angles were a no no when I smelled hair burning and realized it was my beard from the reflection.
That is no joke. Quite the lesson, hope you didn't lose too much beard.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

As a Laser Safety Officer, I would have confiscated your toy! ;) <- note one eye

One of my toys, a 700 watt CO2 laser-

Attachments

• 087B9053-EAE2-4081-AE92-DB39C93D8EA9.jpeg
    087B9053-EAE2-4081-AE92-DB39C93D8EA9.jpeg
    185.4 KB · Views: 20
Unless you can get the aptasia completely with a laser, many folks say after a laser, their aptasia got worse. I always find that when I use aptasia X, it seems good for a while and then it gets worse again. Have you tried file fish, peppermint shrimp, nudibranchs?

Unless you can get the aptasia completely with a laser, many folks say after a laser, their aptasia got worse. I always find that when I use aptasia X, it seems good for a while and then it gets worse again. Have you tried file fish, peppermint shrimp, nudibranchs?
nudis are my next course of action

I start with the mouth and work my way out. Haven't had any outbreaks with that method.

The plan with the new system is to catch all pests in long stays in QT

Yikes you guys must really hate aiptasia to risk life, limb, beard & eyeballs to maybe get rid of it with a chance of causing a bigger bloom...

@Shawn - if you get the right peppermints and as long as you don't have any peppermint predators - they will work.

I put a rock with about a dozen mushrooms and AT LEAST 50 aiptasia on it in my 180. 3 weeks later and that rock is spotless. I'm sure there's remnants somewhere and I have a few that have popped up here and there - but for me the right peppermints take care of it.

@Shawn - if you get the right peppermints and as long as you don't have any peppermint predators - they will work.

I put a rock with about a dozen mushrooms and AT LEAST 50 aiptasia on it in my 180. 3 weeks later and that rock is spotless. I'm sure there's remnants somewhere and I have a few that have popped up here and there - but for me the right peppermints take care of it.
I had some peppermints but they stopped working. The laser works okay but I think I’m gonna go nudis.

I had some peppermints but they stopped working. The laser works okay but I think I’m gonna go nudis.
I hope they work - my berghia attempt was a $250 meal for (I think) my filefish (who also doesn't touch it BTW)

I hope they work - my berghia attempt was a $250 meal for (I think) my filefish (who also doesn't touch it BTW)
Oof. Darn. That sucks. I got a file fish yesterday but he’s just getting acclimated. I’ve got peppermints in my frag tank that have kept me from seeing all but one aptasia head. It’s my poor little 40g where I’ve got quite a few mojano and aptasia.

The decent thing about nudis is that they are nocturnal so my filefish and wrasse *should* let them be. We will see. I’ll get nudis from @kbuck so that I’ll at least be supporting a sponsor if I am just throwing money away. Lol.

Nudi's work but they don't ever get them all. A multipronged approach is always best.
There are shrimp that look like peppermint but aren't ones that eat aiptasia. Taking a rock out and putting it in a tank that has real peppermints and isn't fed anything other than ammonia works with them also. They get hungry and munch down.
Finally the laser, if you only get the ones orientated straight at the laser and hit them right in the mouth it frys everything inside so you don't get a bigger problem.

Even then you're not likely to get every last one. And without a predator they'll multiply. Long stays in QT is the best bet. With Euphyllia even longer.

I have a 2 watt one. Just like Peppermint shrimp or anything else they work for maintenance not a cure.

Best course of action Ive used is a plug of epoxy with some super glue on it. Still had peppermints, and the laser for hard to reach spots but they never went away until I acid dipped every rock in the tank and scrubbed every coral.

Back