Aptasia

gixxer600

Market
Reaction score
what is the best way to eliminate the stuff. (i.e. fish, shrimp, other methods). somebody please help:boo:

Joes juice, lemon juice...

or do what i did i used super glue gel and filled the hole it was living in

You can use joe's juice or if you are cheap you can just mix up some kalkwasser so it's thick and use it like joe's juice.

Mine always grew back so I got some peppermint shrimp who then took care of it when it started to grow back.

I’m listing some of the ways I have heard people get rid of this stuff:

1. Pluck it off, then scrub it and prey
2. Peppermint shrimp
3. Pluck and glue
4. Give the rock away
5. Throw the rock away
6. Flamethrower
7. High explosives (although not my first choice here)
8. Sell it on eBay as a coral of some kind
9. Soak in hyper-salinity water
10. Soak it in RO
11. Soak it in Vodka Note: don’t drink Vodka after the soak
12. Belt sander

Just did the lemon juice in my tank on one 2 days ago. used about a 1/4 teaspoon in medicine syringe. stuck syringe up to center and blasted it. Aptasia immediatly retacted within 30 seconds there were bubbles coming from where it retracted and I havn't seen it since.

Disclaimer : I dont have any corals in my tank and the aptasia was a hitchiker on my new rock so i cant say personally if it will effect anything else in your tank but other people have reported success:up:

I used joes juice on the ones I could see and used peppermint shrimp. They are all gone now.... :)

I have read an article on about.com about the lemon juice. Apparently, it is very effective, and wont hurt the water params unless you are fighting a WWIII with the aiptasia. I will probably use this method since I only have a small handful of these guys. I'm just waiting until they get a little bigger so I wont miss ;). Here is the article:
a>

I have used some boiling water in a syringe with much success. It is like using a small scale nuke on them.

Xyzpdq0121;147904 wrote: I have used some boiling water in a syringe with much success. It is like using a small scale nuke on them.

With this method, are you actually injecting with a needle, or just kinda blasting them with a wave?

Harleyguy;147693 wrote: I’m listing some of the ways I have heard people get rid of this stuff:
11. Soak it in Vodka Note: don’t drink Vodka after the soak

NOTE: ONLY USE CHEAP VODKA

I just like to plug the holes with glue or epoxy. Simple, effective, no funny parameters after.

And Joe's juice is complete horse lumps. Its just kalkwasser or some form of calcium base and it's not in a million years worth that much. Just mix some extra kalk in hot water. MUCH cheaper. Check the ingredients and make it yourself.

Just as an FYI....do not use Peppermint shrimp if you have a pistol shrimp, dragon goby, or coral banded shrimp. All of the above mentioned have killed every peppermint I have ever tried to put in the tank. And yes I watched them all do it.....it sucked.

I recently added a Copperband Butterfly that I bought from a fellow refer. She actually had it for about 9 months so I knew it was healthy and eating. I have tried one from the LFS with no success. My new one however seems to be slowly taking care of the problem.

I just read an article on Berghia Nudibranch' but they take a long time establish a colony, it also recomended a Racoon Butterfly?

Nudi's are amazing, they just can't get the ones near a lot of flow. When I was establishing a 350gal the aptasia spread like the plague but just two nudi's were put in and the entire system's rocks sparkled. They due take a long time, but they eat the entire thing so there is very little chance of it coming back. You just need to give them a hand with the ones they can't reach.

which nudi's are ya'll talking about? I think i might try those and some peppermint's. Also how many should i get for a 90 gal tank w/ medium aptais growth?

swaterfreak;148424 wrote: I just read an article on Berghia Nudibranch' but they take a long time establish a colony, it also recomended a Racoon Butterfly?

From what I read, Berghia nudibranches do work. I actually ordered five of them and I threw some aptasia in the container came in and they devoured them. However I spent $125 on just those and I haven't seen them again.

A Racoon Butterfly is a good option, however it will also eat other corals.

Back