aqua craft salt

dv3

Reaction score
according to their website ...if its not aqua craft its not good ...and they have apparently backed that up with tests but the also say use should use some "hydro-safe" to mix there salt with TAP water! im wondering because one of the LFS swears by it and thats what they sell in their pre-mixed and the only brand they offer for salt ...so i was considering using it instead of IO in know alot of you use IO but im wondering if you have any experience with aqua craft

a>

good question ...i dunno maybe it had good results ....if that's the case then maybe they are being truthful about the other test results?

seachem is reef crystals? ...they did do an analyisis on reef crystals

many salts IO, reef crystals and read sea i think are made by the same parent company at the same plant ...just FYI ...doesn't necessarily mean there the same additives but if there are drastic variances from bag to back that could be the same

I don't want to get in any debate about what is better or worse. It seems that since this was an independant test, it is not surprising to see who the winner was. Here is another test that was done more recently. Even though it doesn't list every brand, it is still quite interesting. http://reefsaltanalysis.googlepages.com/AWT_Salt_Analysis_0208.pdf">http://reefsaltanalysis.googlepages.com/AWT_Salt_Analysis_0208.pdf</a>

This, in my opinion, is less biased than the Aquacraft study.

dv3;344884 wrote: according to their website ...if its not aqua craft its not good ...

What manufacturer won't say that about there own product?

dv3;344884 wrote: and they have apparently backed that up with tests but the also say use should use some "hydro-safe" to mix there salt with TAP water! im wondering because one of the LFS swears by it and thats what they sell in their pre-mixed and the only brand they offer for salt ...so i was considering using it instead of IO in know alot of you use IO but im wondering if you have any experience with aqua craft

I first read that report about a year ago.

They claim to have everything but then they tell you that once you find a salt, only use trace additives after that.

After selecting a true sea water formula&#x2122; </em>use only quality additives.

That claim truly is scary. No water changes, just quality additives. More marketing hype. You also have to realize that paper was written at least 9 years ago. Depending on which copyright notice you go by. Copyright 2000, or Copyright 1993-2000. If the former, its 9 years old, if the latter its 16 years old. Either way, what was going on in the SW world 9 years ago has absolutely nothing to do with whats going on now with regards to salt mixes.

If your LFS only offers you one choice, find a new source. Online, new LFS, somewhere else. If the water parameters test out to where you want your parameters, then its good salt for you and it won't matter what I say or anybody else says. If its right for you, then its right for you.

One Dumm Hikk;345028 said:
Copyright 2000, or Copyright 1993-2000. If the former, its 9 years old, if the latter its 16 years old. Either way, what was going on in the SW world 9 years ago has absolutely nothing to do with whats going on now with regards to salt mixes. quote]

Is this to mean that this salt has been around for atleast 9 years and none of us have ever heard of it?

Are we certain they are still making it?

that particular store only offers only that salt but there are atleast 10 others with in an hour from me i have just had good luck there...although my SW experience is limited gonna have to think on this one for a while i guess

Dakota9;345042 wrote:
Is this to mean that this salt has been around for atleast 9 years and none of us have ever heard of it?

Are we certain they are still making it?

It is my understanding that the salt has been around that long. Not sure why people haven't heard of it. I never had until I read the article about a year ago. The fact that dv3 can get the salt means its still around though.

A browse of there website looks more like a publishing company thoguh. It does have a page on how to order and leads to this:
a>

dv3;345049 wrote: that particular store only offers only that salt but there are atleast 10 others with in an hour from me i have just had good luck there...although my SW experience is limited gonna have to think on this one for a while i guess

For me, salt falls into the "If it ain't broken, don't fix it" category instead of the "If it ain't broken, play with it til it is broken" category. If you are using it now, have good results/parameters with it, and your tank is happy, why change it at all?

ya know? Good is a relevant term, meaning instead of thinking whats good, we should really ask ourselves What's "good, enough".</em>

IO has been the standard for most people for many, many years. Maybe Seachem is alil better, maybe they are the same. IO seems to get the job done, and is readily available EVERYWHERE, while being the least expensive nationally reconized brand. Unless some future brand tests light years beyond IO, I personally don't see me changing, but to each his own.

Dakota, I think thats the question people ask themselves whether they realize it or not. There is always something better or a better way to do something. you just have to know when its "good enough".

Back