jbadd99

Market
Reaction score
Thoughts?
182E8D77-CFE1-4FF3-A578-30E828D02514_zpsqepizjn7.jpg
alt="" />
41562D89-6318-45DE-A780-909DD0007BB8_zpstwoninxp.jpg
alt="" />

Pretty cool I think...... How tall is the tank. Remember ..... Give your corals time to grow in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like it. My only thought is to make them a little shorter for coral growth...

I love it, but I do think it's a little too tall like Brandon said. I would also prefer a little extra room between the sides and the rock.

Looks good....

I do like the Golden rule ( aka... 5:3 rule) for both left to right and top to bottom. One thing I regret is not leaving 3 to 4 inches between the glass and all structures.

Pm sent with extra info

I think it looks great but Im not a fan of a lot of rock in the tank, looks like reef saver rock? That stuff is easy to work with and stack. I agree wit the last couple of comments on the height. Maybe take the top rock off each of the end pieces, I can imagine some softies or gorgs swaying in the current from those...cant wait to see the rocks in water with some corals attached!

Sewer Urchin;1037612 wrote: Looks good....

I do like the Golden rule ( aka... 5:3 rule) for both left to right and top to bottom. One thing I regret is not leaving 3 to 4 inches between the glass and all structures.

Pm sent with extra info

Someone remembers our aquascaping meeting...but I do like the 3 structures.

Someone remembers our aquascaping meeting...but I do like the 3 structures.

Nope, I wasn't able to attend. I've been quoting the author for a few years and he has a great set of articles.

Well, that and it's one of the few things I remember from a Art History class that I was forced to take at Kennesaw State, and they say those things classes will never matter in the real world ;-)

Russ-IV;1037602 wrote: i like 3 islands. wish people would vary the heights though.

+1. Maybe remove the top rock on the left island to vary the heights a little.

Something else to consider is flow. Most flow is accomplished by placing powerheads on the sides of the tank. It looks like your piles on both the left and the right might create a "wall" that the powerheads would blast into - preventing them from circulating water throughout the tank. This might be fixed by lowering the height. Just throwing it out there.

LSU_fishFan;1037622 wrote: +1. Maybe remove the top rock on the left island to vary the heights a little.

+1

That was my first thought!

I love it but would take the top Rock off the left island!

Awesome!

After reviewing again, I'd add the rock from the left island to the short island in the back middle. If it would make that little island taller then the middle one +111

dball711;1037615 wrote: Someone remembers our aquascaping meeting...but I do like the 3 structures.

Can someone point me in the direction of a write up on this 5:3 rule?

I'd nix the island on the left and move the center one over toward the side. Maybe add a few small chunks of rock in the middle area or partially covered with sand.

dylpik27;1037688 wrote: Can someone point me in the direction of a write up on this 5:3 rule?

Sure ,here is a link to the March ARC meeting that we had Dr. Paul Whitby as a speaker on aquscaping.

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=97586">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=97586</a>

We learned about aesthetic rules and how 5-3 perspective, forced perspective and color theory can be coordinated to enhance the visual impact of our aquascape.

Google DR Whitby and you will find several article/videos on the 5-3 perspective as it relates to aquscaping or just Google the 5-3 perspective.

i read the 5:3 piece but all it read to me was taken from photography 101.

if you want more flexibility google "rule of 3rds". It will present you a ton more options than 5:3

Back