AquaClear 110 HOB Fuge Modification

lukestimp

Market
Reaction score
I know there a few Members on here running the AC70 and AC110 Hang on the back Fuge but using the search function I couldn't find any instructions on how to Do-It-Yourself.. So..... Here's how I did the one for a friend of mine. I'll try my best to explain each step but feel free to ask any questions along the way.

We purchased the Aquaclear 110 at Petsmart for $89.99 I believe, sorry sponsers we live out in Monroe and my friend just hasn't been bitten hard enough by the Salty Bug to make the Hour + long trips.

AC110Mod001.jpg
alt="" />

The Inventory should consist of the following -

(1) AquaClear 110 Body and Lid

(1) Media Basket

(1) Filter Sponge

(1) Package of Biomax Media (Set this aside it is not needed)

(1) Package of Carbon (Set this aside it is not needed)

(1) Intake U Tube

(2) Intake attchments (Still not sure why they give you 2)

(1) Unit Leveling attachment

AC110Mod004.jpg
alt="" />

Remove the Media Basket by squeezing the sides inward and pull up, this may take a little force. You should end up with this...

AC110Mod005.jpg
alt="" />

Now remove the sides from the lower portion of the media basket, you should end up with these 3 pieces.

AC110Mod006.jpg
alt="" />

Set the 2 Side pieces aside for now, you will only be needing the Bottom portion for the next step.

AC110Mod007.jpg
alt="" />

I have seen a few DIY Fuge mods for the AC70 and AC110 and in most cases the Bottom portion of the Media Basket was used as a Screen on the Output to keep any type of Macro your using confined to the Fuge.

In most cases the Grid was trimmed down and attched to the Output section. I found that there was no need to trim the Grid just attach it lower inside the space, be sure it's far enough down for the Top to still fit.

AC110Mod010.jpg
alt="" />

I used GE Windows and Door Silcone II to attch the Grid like so..
AC110Mod012.jpg
alt="" />

Here's a Front on View of the AC110 once the Grid has been attached.

AC110Mod016.jpg
alt="" />

Please check the Back of the Silicone....

I think GE Silicone 2 has additives for Mildew and is not 100% Silicone like GE 1. It may still be safe But I know GE 1 is 100% Safe.

I will check it out tonight when I get home, I've used GE II on all my sumps and never had an issue, but when I look at the picture above that Bioseal logo has me a little scared..

By the way there is more to come with htis thread just didn't get all the pictures downloaded and wanted to let the Silicone set-up good..

C3gear - I checked out the GE II Silicone and the one I used does contain the Bioseal Mildew and Mold resistance protection.

Does anyone know if using this product is really going to hurt anything. It is actually a very small amount of silicone that is used?

I've seen others use acrylic baffles but I decided to use the parts that came with the AC110 as much as possible.

The 2 sides of that Media Basket that were set aside are the perfect fit.

AC110Mod013.jpg
alt="" />

I cut the Baffles down to size using a razor blade. The Baffle on the right is Trimmed so that the top of it meets the Bottom of the Output screen.
I basically only removed the top section at the 90 degree bend of the baffle on the right. I also trimmed of the Clips on the bottom of both pieces that were used to attach them to the Bottom of the media basket.

AC110Mod015.jpg
alt="" />

I then inserted the smaller baffle and lined it up on a tab that is inside the AC110. I believe the tab is what the media basket rested on in the Original configuration. You will know what I'm talking about when you look inside. Once lined up I siliconed both sides of the baffle. Basically the baffle is there to keep the sand and rubble from reaching the Pump components.

AC110Mod020.jpg
alt="" />

The larger baffle was then placed next to the Intake pump, I chose not to silicone this baffle in due to the fact that you could not service the pump if it was ever necessary. No worries because the Baffle will be held in place by step 6.

AC110Mod021.jpg
alt="" />
AC110Mod023.jpg
alt="" />

A view from the back of the AC110.

AC110Mod022.jpg
alt="" />

This step can actually be used for any type of filter media you wish to run, I just decided to use the Filter sponge so that I can keep large particles of matter from reaching the actually Fuge area.

Using the Filter Sponge that was removed from the Media Basket, I created 2 sections by cutting the sponge in half long ways.

AC110Mod024.jpg
alt="" />

AC110Mod025.jpg
alt="" />

I then cut each of these 2 sections in half across the middle, Ending up with 4 pieces of Filter Sponge.

AC110Mod028.jpg
alt="" />

Now place 1 Piece of the filter sponge in between the 2 Baffles. The other 3 Pieces of sponge are for replacements.

AC110Mod029.jpg
alt="" />

So far this is all I have finished.. I still plan on either shaving down the Impeller or replace it with one from an AC20. I know the AC20 Impeller is interchangeable on the AC70 but I'm not 100% yet on weather or not it will work on the AC110. The reason for this mod is that the AC110 moves around 500 gph and since it's being used as a fuge I need to bring that way down.

Stay Tuned.

LukeStimp;381059 said:
So far this is all I have finished.. I still plan on either shaving down the Impeller or replace it with one from an AC20. I know the AC20 Impeller is interchangeable on the AC70 but I'm not 100% yet on weather or not it will work on the AC110. The reason for this mod is that the AC110 moves around 500 gph and since it's being used as a fuge I need to bring that way down.

Luke,
Did you ever decide what to do with the "impeller"? I picked up an AC110 today and I want to do the same mod.

Thank you

Phil

Back