Aquacultured Live Rock

elfloyd

Supporting
Reaction score
Has anyone purchased aquacultured live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater? Their LR is sent directly from a man made reef... sent in saltwater and doesn't need curing... and includes all the "marine organisms that have colonized the rocks".

Now, this sounds like a great idea to quickly establish a reef... but I believe the unknown hitch hikers could cause major problems.

<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="color: darkgreen;">"Over the first years a wide variety of marine organisms have colonized the rocks. During the first year, organisms such as barnacles, oysters, algae, sponges, and tunicates were noted. After two years the tube coral colonies and solitary cup corals started showing up. They have continued to develop. Next, starlet coral colonies (Solenastrea hyades) appeared. </span></span></em>

<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="color: darkgreen;">Several species of Caulerpa are found along with fleshy red and brown turf alga. Bryozoans are also common, both encrusting and bushy. Many small invertebrates such as small crabs, snails, and worms live on the rocks, including limpets and astrea snails. The list of species continues to grow with every trip. See our current </span></span></em>http://www.tampabaysaltwater.com/thepackage/organisms.html"><span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="color: darkgreen;">[I]catalog of organisms</em></span></span></a>[I]<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="color: darkgreen;"> consisting of pictures taken by our customers. </span></span></em>[/INDENT]

[INDENT][I]<span style="font-size: 11px;"><span style="color: darkgreen;"><span style="font-family: Arial;"><font size="2" data-gcupd="font-2"><!-- gcu-updated -->Harvesting of the rock is done by scuba diving. Rocks are hand picked and carefully loaded in mesh baskets that are hauled up to the boat and placed into tubs with Sea Water. They are inspected, sponges that don't survive are removed, and then they are packed in water filled buckets for the boat ride in.</span></span> </span></font><!-- gcu-updated SIZE --></em>[/INDENT]

[INDENT][I]<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="color: darkgreen;">Finally, the pieces are placed in large holding system vats. This allows time for any die off due to damage during collection. Large fluidized bed filters control ammonia and nitrite and protein skimmers remove excess organic wastes from the water. Moderate lighting is provided to maintain animals without causing algae blooms. Snails, urchins, and hermit crabs in the system control undesirable algae. The rock is ready to ship in 3 to 14 days."</span></span></em> [/INDENT]

Thoughts?

That's the joy of LR....the hitchhikers. You get that with any rock you buy though....well, except for dry rock.

If I had it to do all over again, honestly, I would get dry rock, and only a select few pieces of live for seeding. This of course would require you to go very slow as far as adding livestock.

That's pretty much what I did with my current tank...got some dry rock from the keys and added some rock from my 55 and went from there. Saves sooo much money and the end result is the same.

And you have a much tighter reign on what 'surprises' you end up with. aptasia, mantis, pesky algaes, etc...

I started my tank with TBS rock. I bought one of their 'packages' with rock, clean-up crew, etc.

The rock does come, as advertised, shipped in water with tons of life--calurpa, sponge, etc. My rock was on the bottom of Tampa Bay on Thursday morning and in my tank on Friday evening. There was little die-off and a short cycle. TBS ships the packages in two shipments. The base rock comes first--after the cycle completes the display rock is shipped along with the clean-up crew, and a bunch of 'extras'. I received rock anemones, condi anemones, a blennie, sponges, gorgonians, and a bunch of other stuff that I can't remember.

Here's the base rock in the box...

DSC_0191.jpg
alt="" />

And in the tank...

TBSLiveRock.jpg
alt="" />

I also received 4 Mantis shrimp, and an unknown number of xanthid (gorilla) crabs, some of which are still in the tank. The thread below documents some of the fun that brings...

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13190&highlight=tampa+bay+saltwater">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13190&highlight=tampa+bay+saltwater</a>

Note that I did not make much of an effort to find and remove the bad guys before putting the rock in the tank--and I received good hitchhikers, too.

The other drawback, IMHO, is that the rock is denser than Fiji or other sources. Some of the larger pieces were solid rock and have subsequently been removed from my tank--if you've got enought external filtration this may not be a concern. Most of my TBS rock is still in the tank

Gwhiz... I just read thru your thread. What size package did you get from TBS?

I was thinking a small package (50#) to suppliment 150# LR from a mature tank. Now I'm not sure if the good critters out weigh the bad.

It honestly might be worth it to just buy some LR from a LFS here...don't have to pay shipping, and if you're only thinking of getting 50#'s it may be cheaper. That and you don't have to worry about bad hitchhikers....or at least not as many...I'm sure some sneak through. And you get to choose which pieces you want.

I got a 130 package and added to it over the past year and a half.

If you've got some established rock, you've got more options to keep critters out--dipping the rock in hypersaline water to drive the critters out, for example, and/or pouring soda water in any holes to encourage any residents to exit. Then just rescue what you want in the tank.

I didnt' do this 'cause I was afraid of killling the life and bacteria on the rock (and I wanted to see rock in my tank!).

I gotta agree with Lee...for 50 lbs, I'd just go to an LFS or another member....

Back