Aquarium problem tonight, need an electrician ASAP!

oz

Market
Reaction score
Long post, sorry: :shout:

I was all happy because I connected my chiller, UV, Calc reactor, and finally plumbed my new refugium. All was great for a couple days and then tonight.....it hit the fan a bit.

I had the drain from the fuge coming down into the rock bed of my sump. To reduce bubbles, I put a sponge at the end of the tube. Well the powerhead in my fuge slipped a bit, blew too much chaeto around causing it to pass through my filter tube, go down the drain line and gather at the end on top of the sponge. That's not a big deal until it causes the drain line to back up!

The good news is I just happened to check my sump before heading upstairs and noticed it was getting low even though I just topped off earlier in the evening. Realized if it's not in the sump and not in the tank then.......FUGE!!!! I could have had a HUGE mess in the morning. It just start to trickle over the top when I cleared the drain line and turned off the PH in the fuge.

The water apparently hit my surge protector and it shut everything connected to it off. Ok, here's the wierd part and why I need an electrician tomorrow:

It usually trips a breaker in my basement, I checked and all was good. Still no reset on my surge protector. The outlet 5 feet away works just fine (where it's plugged into now). No GFCI circuits around to reset.

Now the ironinc part, my lighting on the main floor is plugged into a outlet in my basement (through the floor) and it shut off as well! All that said, I can only assume that the outlet in my little fish room is fried and it's connected somehow to the outlet in the basement.

Can anyone recommend a good (cost efficient) electrician that would come check it out and help me get things back on track? I will probably have him run a couple dedicated circuits from the breaker board to my fish room.

Chris

How old is your house? Normally outlets just don't go bad,so that tells me that either your wiring in the walls are messed up(Unlikely) or you have a breaker tripped but cannot tell. Did you try resetting each breaker that controls that floor? Is it possible the outlet is working but the surge protecter is fried? Did you try plugging something else into the outlet? Is this outlet a GFCI by chance?

Built in 1973. I reset almost every breaker in the box. no change. I did come upstairs and the GFCI in my master bathroom was tripped and needed a reset.

I tried plugging another extension cord into the same outlet that the surge protector was plugged into and no luck. I wish they were GFCI's in my fish room (was a little bar area).

The outlet in my fishroom isn't working and there are several outlets and lights not working in my basement. Also, my comcast amplifier in the basement isn't working either and that usally went off when the breaker from the fish room tripped.

Could I have fried the 15A/20A circuit breaker in the board? I thought I would be able to tell if so. None of them look bad and all seem to have the tension when reseting.

ChrisOzment;146605 wrote:
Could I have fried the 15A/20A circuit breaker in the board? I thought I would be able to tell if so. None of them look bad and all seem to have the tension when reseting.

Its possible,especially if you have reset this breaker alot. Do you know if there are any outlets that are still working that were on this same breaker?

i have no way of knowing. All the outlets around this outlet are working fine but this one could be connected to the outlets/lights in the basement that aren't working as well.

I think it has to be the circuit breaker in the board. no water touched the outlet in the fish room. My guess is that the power strip / surge protector did it's job and stopped the flow of electricity to the components but could not stop the bad electricity from heading back to the breaker in the board. I plugged the same power strip into another outlet and everything came back up fine. Either that or the outlet internals are fried and that's causing the other outlets on that line to not work.

just weird.

I can come by tomorrow if you want. Pm me your address,number,and what time you want me to come by. Im off work all this week so Im available whenever.

That would be awesome, I need all the help I can get! PM sent.

I agree, always nice to see people so willing to help out! Thats one of the things thats so great about this club.

Thanks again James, don't tell anyone it was a hidden GFCI tripped outlet in the basement. :)

I look forward to having the dedicated circuits run to the sub-panel!

Let me know when I need to make a trip up to BG to lift the beast!

Back