Aquarium Temperature Control

chemaholic

Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
I have a heater and chiller installed on the school reef tank. The chiller has no temperature control. I am thinking of using an Inkbird ITC 308 Wifi to handle the chiller and heater. I would like to have a controller with two temperature probes though to guard against a probe failure, but this model seems to only have one probe. Is there something else out there I can look at?

The ideal way to backup a process dependent device (eg- heating or cooling) is with 2 separate/independent controls. In series, so that if one fails in an ‘on’ state (closed relay) the 2nd will take over & turn it ‘off’ (open relay). It is also preferable to set them at least 2 deg F apart on their set points, to avoid having them interfering with one another’s operation (aka- ‘chatter’).

Using a two stage control that has separate heat and cooling control relays, and even separate temp. probes, is convenient but does not offer redundancy should say that control’s power supply fail. Which is also likely, in my experience. A second temp. controller would mitigate that scenario.

Fwiw,
I am also a fan or Ranco brand temperature controllers. They have never failed me.

Essentially I need four controllers then. Two for the heater and two for the chiller. I thought maybe someone had already built such a thing.

I use a dab of silicone and a piece of shrink tube where the cord attaches to the sensor just to be safe. I just like to be carefull

Ordered the single stage model for my home reef tank. We only have a heater since the house is kept cool. I have a chiller though just in case.

Back