Aquarium weight

rodasphoto

Market
Reaction score
I am going to be setting up a 93 gal cube (30x30x24) in my house over crawl space. I anticipate the total weight to be ~1,200 lbs. The tank will sit on 2 beams right off an exterior wall and 5'4" from the nearest support column. Here is an http://imgur.com/a/5bh4g">album</a> of a sketch better explaining the location and photos.

Will I need to reinforce the floor? If I do should I sister the Joists? Or can I use a deck block and short length of 2x10 supported with a jack post on both sides of the tank running perpendicular to the beams?

This is a question that can be very hard for people on a forum to answer. We don't know a lot of a variables. Joist size, joist spacing, support at the foundation... It's always best to have a structural engineer come out and tell you. It shouldn't cost more than $100-250 to get one to come out and give to the numbers.

Having said that Rodasphoto's setup looks to be just fine. The tank is crossing the joists correctly and there is a main beam with a pillar not far away. I just don't know if you'll have the access to the tank you might want with it in a corner which blocks access on two sides.

I personally would go to Home Depot and buy a short crawlspace house Jack and a couple two by tens to go in between the 2 joists I would snug it up on the ground and forget it.  One of those things would hold an elephant.

I inquired to have an engineer come out and they said it would be like $600.

I was able to talk to an engineer friend after I got the quote and he suggested I pour 2   2 ft. footers and use a jack on each that supports a perpendicular beam. As soon as I get to it I will post pictures of how I did it.

Salt water weights about 8.6 lbs per gallon.  I doubt you will get over 1000lbs with that setup.

Your tank is 2.5x2.5 feet thats 6.25 square feet. At 1000 lbs thats 160 lbs per square foot.  A person puts more stress on the floor than that.  You will be fine.

If you are still worried, go to home depo and get some floor jacks and put those in the crawl space to support the floor.

I had a 93 rimless cube on the second floor of my house. Against an outside wall but not near in interior load bearing wall. Perfectly fine, never a concern.

It won't crash through your floor but I MIGHT be concerned about the possibility of the floor sagging over time. You should be fine. But since there's easy access underneath I would beef it up for peace of mind.

Back