Aquascape change help

vols22

Market
Reaction score
I am looking to move my aquascape around but don't know if there are any things I need to do so the tank doesn't go crazy. Any tips are appreciated.

You should be good unless the rock is really old or you don't siphon your sand. I'd do it very slowly and maybe try to turkey baster the rock next time you do a water change so lots of detritus wont get knocked up when you do the move

@Onefallleaf yeah I don't siphon my sand because it's super deep. Read that I shouldn't disturb it. Maybe I'll do like half the tank before this water change this week and the second half next week's water change. Thanks for the tips.

You should be good unless the rock is really old or you don't siphon your sand. I'd do it very slowly and maybe try to turkey baster the rock next time you do a water change so lots of detritus wont get knocked up when you do the move
I saw a guy on youtube doing this, its pretty smart actually. He had only a 1/2 inch sand bed so he would actually do the same thing with the sand bed as well during water changes to remove debris in the sand!!

@Onefallleaf yeah I don't siphon my sand because it's super deep. Read that I shouldn't disturb it. Maybe I'll do like half the tank before this water change this week and the second half next week's water change. Thanks for the tips.
Ya no problem, you shouldn't disturb your sand too much if its more than 6 months old and you never siphon. I would still recommend doing it in small parts though. Maybe 0.25-0.5 sqft every water change or so to start off. As long as you keep up with siphoning itll be ok to continuously do it. The main problem is if you never do it the buildup is quite harsh when you touch it at all.

I saw a guy on youtube doing this, its pretty smart actually. He had only a 1/2 inch sand bed so he would actually do the same thing with the sand bed as well during water changes to remove debris in the sand!!
Ya its pretty popular thing with some of the older parts of the community. It really helps keep the rock cleaner and lets it do its job of keeping bacteria colonies inside it.

Yeah I stirred the sand bed one time without sucking anything up and had a milky cloud in my tank for like a week so I was afraid to touch it again. I'll do the small siphoning slowly like you mentioned on the top of the sand bed.

Back