Aquired an old lab grade ro/di need help

roundman

Market
Reaction score
I just aquired a US filter Modulab laboratory grade ro/di system. It is rated at 200 gal per day and has 6 canisters plus an ro canister and a uv light. It has been setting up for quite a while and the uv light is broken, it also has a recirculation pump and a large pump to push water through the ro membrane. I have found the filters but they are very expensive (40-80 each). I do not know much about water systems and don't know if there are other filters that will work or even if this is worth the effort. I would appreciate any help with this monster.

Do you have a photo, what size cartages, what size membrane...

I can tell you It would be cheeper just to buy a new complete 75 GPD RO DI system, than to overhaul a comercial unit. If the RO membrane is dry you'll need to replace it...

In my opinion for 85 bucks you can get a 100 gal per day unit with cartridges only costing 35 bucks.

Why spend the extra money on this thing? Heck you could even plumb in a uv sterilizer and still come out ahead.

yeah if you plan on using a 200 gpd of water it may be worth it to spend $300-$400 on it in the long run to fix it. But For most Hobbiest a cheap $150 RODI unit would be a better way to spend your money. Just look for one that has a good "Filmtech 75 gpd" RO membrane.
Watch out for cheap RO membranes. 96% or higher rejection rate is what you want.

you could even sell that one for parts. i make 1000 gallons per month and could use the boster pump you have.

I believe that there are only 2 manufactures of RO membranes and that the membranes are just rebranded.

Seedless Reefer;67255 wrote: I believe that there are only 2 manufactures of RO membranes and that the membranes are just rebranded.

maybe so. but thier are 2 types of membranes. One of them is very bad for our use, most of the 100+ gpd are made of this other material and have a low rejection around 88 to 92 rate and are not very durable. It some kind of cellulous membrane. The Filmtech 75 membrane are the other matrial (slips my mind right now). Anyway they have a 96% + rejection rate. GE 75 GPD membranes are real good also. if you get your membrane from spectra pure thiers have a 98%+ rejection rate.

The higher your rejection rate the longer your DI last$

looks like you can refurb that one pretty easily. the mechanical filters are cheap...looks like you have 2. the three in the middle look to be resin filters. what's in them? or am i wrong? if the ro membrane is the same size as what we use, then you can order that from anyone, shouldn't be too bad either.

Ok if you want to move this to for sale.
I'm not sure I have the knowledge to make this work and would sell it for parts if someone wants it. Don't know how much so let me know.
Thanks

Back