ARC Frag success story

mojo

Market
Reaction score
I've been meaning to post this for a while. I finally swapped out my rock, and thus the corals came out as well, so this seemed like a good time.

I joined the ARC around mid-2004. In 2005, I went to the annual frag meeting and picked up a couple of frags - one of them being a green pocillapora frag. Not terribly rare, but it was a free frag, and I was happy. Being a relatively common coral, I didn't take too many pictures over time, but I've managed to find a couple, and have posted them here.

Here's my fist shot - right after I came home from the frag meeting:

Feb 2005:
3041821744_5b3653d901.jpg
alt="" />

Here we are on Apr 2006, about a year later. I'm pretty sure I upgraded tanks at this point:
3041824560_57be5153f1.jpg
alt="" />

I have a gap where I don't have any good pictures of just the corals for a while. I do have this FTS, taken May 2008. You can see the coral at the top center of the tank. It looks a little bashed in b/c it had some die-off during my move between houses

3041784930_bccae49b25_o.jpg
alt="" />

And finally, when I cut it off the rock the other day (Nov, 2008), I put it on a salt bucket lid and snapped a picture. I broke off a small colony or two when getting it out, but it's still pretty impressive:

3037633231_ff5a3f839a_o.jpg
alt="" />

I've moved the coral into my wife's new 300g tank, but I'm not sure she'll keep it. Either way, I'll probably take the colonies that came off when it came out of my tank and frag them up for new ARC members.

I'm guessing this is one of the few surviving frags from that meeting long ago, so I wanted to show it off (and how much corals can grow, even in bad conditions).

This is 3.5 years growth, from a freebie frag to 10" coral. Congrats, ARC!:yay:

ares;243912 wrote: I have a coral that looks like that too, but mine is seriously bleached out...

yours doesnt seem to mind being way up in the tank, wonder why mine are almost white...

Not sure... and I really didn't do much acclimation. They were under 1000w halides, which probably contributed to the growth in the past two years, but weren't directly under them. I did have a couple colonies sprout up directly under the bulb, and they're more of a neon green. This coral almost became a weed- it would spawn, and I'd end up killing little pocillapora frags throughout the tank all the time...

thats great! i wish we could see more coral growth from other people. i think this, as well as sharing experience and advice, is the essence of the club.

CGill311;243997 wrote: So what was the deal with replacing all your rock?

I plan to start a new thread for all that - I might be able to get to it later tonight. Replacing 250lbs of rock and moving a hundred corals was no small task!

BTW- was it you that I got that green leather from? It's doing awesome, although was finally moved into my wife's new 300g tank, as was always the plan.

Yeah...I sold you that one. Maybe I'll PM you in 6 months or so for a frag. :)

The green leather is amazing - hard to say how much its grown. It has a couple of small "runners" coming off the base for fragginh when they get bigger.

Very nice. I'm baby sitting Cgill's maze brain frag from the frag swap 2 years ago and its huge in comparison to everyone else's I've seen.

The encrusting monti I got from the meeting grew from a tiny speck to about the size of a baseball/softball as well.

The lights are already off in the tank but Chris promised to get pictures of the Green Leather and probably the Pocillipora tomorrow to post.

Chris..you coral farmer.....

put me in line for a piece of that...nice tank..I never seen it before.

washowi;244418 wrote: Chris..you coral farmer.....

put me in line for a piece of that...nice tank..I never seen it before.

It's a weed - I'll give you a nice piece sometime soon.

Thanks for the kudos- That's a pretty crappy shot of the tank -
onblack.php

Beautiful! How is that doart working out?

Look forward to the 'rock' thread...

corvettecris;244438 wrote: Beautiful! How is that doart working out?

Look forward to the 'rock' thread...

Dart is perfect for what I needed it for! It's driving my skimmer and chiller. The chiller requires 2000gph minimum, so it's a little undersized, but it works well.

I may start that rock thread right now...

Back